Oct 13, 2013, 10:55 PM EDT
When a .500 New York Islanders team is the best squad in the general New York/New Jersey* area, you know things are grim. The New Jersey Devils remain in the running for the worst of them all, as they still seek their first win after six games (0-3-3) following a dispiriting 3-0 loss to the Winnipeg Jets.
The score might be a little misleading (strangely, Evander Kane made it 2-0 with an empty-netter and then Andrew Ladd collected the 3-0 goal moments later), but all that matters is that the Devils still have a big, glaring “0” in the W column.
It’s understandable if you feel some sympathy for Cory Schneider. He stopped 33 out of 35 shots as he watched a befuddled Devils offense continue to struggle to put points on the board.
There were bad moments in the first 5 games for Devils, no doubt, but there were also positives. Can’t think of any tonight in their play.
— Tom Gulitti (@TGfireandice) October 14, 2013
Sure, New Jersey isn’t in as dire a situation scoring-wise as the New York Rangers (nine goals in five games) or Buffalo Sabres (six goals in six games), but the situation is still pretty bleak.
It says a lot that, despite being without a win, the Devils’ three points leaves them fifth in the Metropolitan Division ahead of the Rangers, Washington Capitals and Philadelphia Flyers (all with two points).
The debate regarding which team is the worst in the New York/NJ area – the Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres – might also double as the question of who’s the worst team in the NHL early on this season.
* – Dare we say, tri-state or metropolitan area?
Sep 20, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Listed as day-to-day.
Sep 20, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT
Expected to miss a couple days according to Randy Carlyle.
Sep 20, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
Discussions regarding deal are on-going.
Sep 20, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
Experimentation process has begun as team looks for secondary scoring.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Stars searching for a suitable No. 2 behind Kari Lehtonen.
Sep 20, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
After playing in just 16 games in 2013-14, he’s looking to be a contributor this season.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
Undrafted defenseman looking to make an impression at camp.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets would settle for far less after he scored just 19 last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
The last thing he wants is to suffer a setback by rushing his recovery.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
That’s not the only summer statement he took exception to.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT
Bob Suter was a defenseman on the “Miracle on Ice” team.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:02 PM EDT
That usually doesn’t end well, but this might be an exception.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
He suffered three concussions in under a year.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
It’s part of the reason why the defenseman is playing for Washington.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT
He suffered a concussion last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:17 PM EDT
Greg Sherman stayed on as his assistant.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT
He’s not the only member of the Ducks that’s hurting.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Held out of Kings’ on-ice activities on Friday.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:06 PM EDT
“We’re a cap team now, despite us being in the bottom five of the league in ticket revenue.”
Sep 19, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Flyers captain currently being evaluated.
- Report: Lightning prospect Jonathan Drouin out with upper body injury 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 0
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 10
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)