Oct 13, 2013, 10:55 PM EDT
When a .500 New York Islanders team is the best squad in the general New York/New Jersey* area, you know things are grim. The New Jersey Devils remain in the running for the worst of them all, as they still seek their first win after six games (0-3-3) following a dispiriting 3-0 loss to the Winnipeg Jets.
The score might be a little misleading (strangely, Evander Kane made it 2-0 with an empty-netter and then Andrew Ladd collected the 3-0 goal moments later), but all that matters is that the Devils still have a big, glaring “0” in the W column.
It’s understandable if you feel some sympathy for Cory Schneider. He stopped 33 out of 35 shots as he watched a befuddled Devils offense continue to struggle to put points on the board.
There were bad moments in the first 5 games for Devils, no doubt, but there were also positives. Can’t think of any tonight in their play.
— Tom Gulitti (@TGfireandice) October 14, 2013
Sure, New Jersey isn’t in as dire a situation scoring-wise as the New York Rangers (nine goals in five games) or Buffalo Sabres (six goals in six games), but the situation is still pretty bleak.
It says a lot that, despite being without a win, the Devils’ three points leaves them fifth in the Metropolitan Division ahead of the Rangers, Washington Capitals and Philadelphia Flyers (all with two points).
The debate regarding which team is the worst in the New York/NJ area – the Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres – might also double as the question of who’s the worst team in the NHL early on this season.
* – Dare we say, tri-state or metropolitan area?
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)