Oct 13, 2013, 11:27 PM EST
The Anaheim Ducks’ 4-1 Throwback Night win against the Ottawa Senators was so close to perfect, that it’s actually worth noting the things that didn’t happen:
- Paul Kariya didn’t play in that game, or any NHL game for that matter. He’s still just 38. (Pause for sadness.)
- Teemu Selanne only got an assist, not a goal. Kind of a ripoff.
- Daniel Alfredsson is no longer a member of the Senators, so no one could get revenge for Scott Niedermayer.
- Depending upon how Ducks fans feel, Bobby Ryan scoring Ottawa’s lone goal either provides a sense of closure or a certain amount of irritation
Overall, though, it was a great night for fans of a team that (eventually/maybe) transcended jokes involving a movie featuring one of the eventual stars of “Dawson’s Creek.”*
The Ducks fired a ridiculous 24 shots on net in the first period, an almost-as-absurd 21 in the second and 11 more in the third. Corey Perry scored two goals while Ryan Getzlaf had a goal and an assist. Jonas Hiller was sharp by making 30 out of 31 saves, but really impressed by wearing the mask featured in the video below:
The game also featured the inaugural team taking part in the ceremonial puck drop, which may or may not represent the largest gathering of people to do so:
So, full marks to the Ducks. Although, if you ask Hiller, they should at least look like this every night, as he told Kyle Shohara of the team’s Web site.
“If it’s up to me, we could play the whole season like that,” Hiller said.
There are probably at least a few fans who would agree.
* – Should we pretend this wasn’t widely known?
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 35
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 7
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 40
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)