Oct 13, 2013, 11:27 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks’ 4-1 Throwback Night win against the Ottawa Senators was so close to perfect, that it’s actually worth noting the things that didn’t happen:
- Paul Kariya didn’t play in that game, or any NHL game for that matter. He’s still just 38. (Pause for sadness.)
- Teemu Selanne only got an assist, not a goal. Kind of a ripoff.
- Daniel Alfredsson is no longer a member of the Senators, so no one could get revenge for Scott Niedermayer.
- Depending upon how Ducks fans feel, Bobby Ryan scoring Ottawa’s lone goal either provides a sense of closure or a certain amount of irritation
Overall, though, it was a great night for fans of a team that (eventually/maybe) transcended jokes involving a movie featuring one of the eventual stars of “Dawson’s Creek.”*
The Ducks fired a ridiculous 24 shots on net in the first period, an almost-as-absurd 21 in the second and 11 more in the third. Corey Perry scored two goals while Ryan Getzlaf had a goal and an assist. Jonas Hiller was sharp by making 30 out of 31 saves, but really impressed by wearing the mask featured in the video below:
The game also featured the inaugural team taking part in the ceremonial puck drop, which may or may not represent the largest gathering of people to do so:
So, full marks to the Ducks. Although, if you ask Hiller, they should at least look like this every night, as he told Kyle Shohara of the team’s Web site.
“If it’s up to me, we could play the whole season like that,” Hiller said.
There are probably at least a few fans who would agree.
* – Should we pretend this wasn’t widely known?
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 11
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 36
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 32
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21