Oct 13, 2013, 11:27 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks’ 4-1 Throwback Night win against the Ottawa Senators was so close to perfect, that it’s actually worth noting the things that didn’t happen:
- Paul Kariya didn’t play in that game, or any NHL game for that matter. He’s still just 38. (Pause for sadness.)
- Teemu Selanne only got an assist, not a goal. Kind of a ripoff.
- Daniel Alfredsson is no longer a member of the Senators, so no one could get revenge for Scott Niedermayer.
- Depending upon how Ducks fans feel, Bobby Ryan scoring Ottawa’s lone goal either provides a sense of closure or a certain amount of irritation
Overall, though, it was a great night for fans of a team that (eventually/maybe) transcended jokes involving a movie featuring one of the eventual stars of “Dawson’s Creek.”*
The Ducks fired a ridiculous 24 shots on net in the first period, an almost-as-absurd 21 in the second and 11 more in the third. Corey Perry scored two goals while Ryan Getzlaf had a goal and an assist. Jonas Hiller was sharp by making 30 out of 31 saves, but really impressed by wearing the mask featured in the video below:
The game also featured the inaugural team taking part in the ceremonial puck drop, which may or may not represent the largest gathering of people to do so:
So, full marks to the Ducks. Although, if you ask Hiller, they should at least look like this every night, as he told Kyle Shohara of the team’s Web site.
“If it’s up to me, we could play the whole season like that,” Hiller said.
There are probably at least a few fans who would agree.
* – Should we pretend this wasn’t widely known?
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 3
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 19
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)