Oct 13, 2013, 1:15 PM EDT
Halpern, 37, inked a one-year, two-way contract with Phoenix on Saturday, but he started the campaign in the Finnish league. Players that begin the season in Europe must clear waivers if they sign with an NHL club. There’s a history of such players being claimed, so Halpern might not end up playing for Phoenix.
He’s in the twilight of his career, but has recorded 141 goals and 361 points in 907 career games.
Chris Mueller agreed to a one-year, two-way contract with the Stars over the summer. He’s enjoyed some successful seasons in the minors, but at the age of 27 he hasn’t been able to firmly establish himself at the NHL level. Mueller has two goals and eight points in 38 NHL contests.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 11
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 12
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 66
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 89
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)