Oct 13, 2013, 1:15 PM EDT
Halpern, 37, inked a one-year, two-way contract with Phoenix on Saturday, but he started the campaign in the Finnish league. Players that begin the season in Europe must clear waivers if they sign with an NHL club. There’s a history of such players being claimed, so Halpern might not end up playing for Phoenix.
He’s in the twilight of his career, but has recorded 141 goals and 361 points in 907 career games.
Chris Mueller agreed to a one-year, two-way contract with the Stars over the summer. He’s enjoyed some successful seasons in the minors, but at the age of 27 he hasn’t been able to firmly establish himself at the NHL level. Mueller has two goals and eight points in 38 NHL contests.
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 0
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 69
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 34
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 6
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63