Oct 13, 2013, 1:15 PM EDT
Halpern, 37, inked a one-year, two-way contract with Phoenix on Saturday, but he started the campaign in the Finnish league. Players that begin the season in Europe must clear waivers if they sign with an NHL club. There’s a history of such players being claimed, so Halpern might not end up playing for Phoenix.
He’s in the twilight of his career, but has recorded 141 goals and 361 points in 907 career games.
Chris Mueller agreed to a one-year, two-way contract with the Stars over the summer. He’s enjoyed some successful seasons in the minors, but at the age of 27 he hasn’t been able to firmly establish himself at the NHL level. Mueller has two goals and eight points in 38 NHL contests.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 13
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 50
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 36
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)