Oct 13, 2013, 12:19 PM EDT
Carolina will play against the Phoenix Coyotes at 1:00 p.m. ET.
After also being limited to just 17 games last season due to a hip injury, he will be eased back into the lineup by playing on the fourth line, according to the News & Observer’s Chip Alexander. Kevin Westgarth will be kept out of the lineup to make room for him.
When healthy, Ruutu plays a physical game and chips in offensively. He was credited with 51 hits in 2013 despite his limited playing time.
Carolina is off to a decent start with a 2-1-2 record. Goaltender Anton Khudobin was in net for both of their wins and will get the nod again this afternoon.
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 14
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 8
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 9
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 17
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 22
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)