Oct 13, 2013, 7:17 PM EST
The Winnipeg Jets (then Atlanta Thrashers) made a bold and mostly successful decision to move Dustin Byfuglien back to the blueline after significant success as a forward with the Chicago Blackhawks. Now that transformation is really coming through, as he’s assuming one of the toughest roles: killing penalties.
In his first years with Winnipeg, Byfuglien’s been on the ice in shorthanded situations for just about 30 seconds of his 24+ minutes per night.* So far in 2013-14, the 28-year-old defenseman is devoting 2:28 PK minutes per night of his 24:14 total ice time.
“It’s been good so far, it’s a little different,” Byfuglien said. “But I can read the game fairly well, I know what the offense is thinking and what they’re trying to do.”
As a team, the Jets have some room for improvement in the shorthanded area; they’ve allowed six power-play goals in five games and rookie Jacob Trouba leads defensemen in PK time with almost four and a half minutes of shorthanded time per game.
Still, Byfuglien deserves credit for being willing to expand his horizons (no fat jokes, please) and it’s plausible that the Jets’ PK unit might improve with him.
* – Here are the exact numbers from NHL.com:
2012-13: 30 seconds per game of 24:24 total TOI
2011-12: 25 seconds of 24:06
2010-11: 5 seconds of 23:18
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 3
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 24
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 51
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)