Oct 12, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
After missing the first four games of the year with a shoulder injury, Detroit’s Jordin Tootoo will make his regular-season debut on Saturday against the Flyers.
Tootoo, 30, hurt his shoulder during a preseason win over Boston on Sept. 19 and was medically cleared to play on Wednesday.
Back-to-back losses from the Red Wings — 4-1 and 4-2 defeats to Boston and Phoenix — prompted a lineup shuffle, one that sees Tootoo draw onto a line with Luke Glendening and Drew Miller.
As for what head coach Mike Babcock is expecting from Tootoo?
“I want him to be Toots,” Babcock told the Detroit News. “I want him to be solid without the puck, make good plays on the wall and be all over their defense.”
It stands to reason Tootoo will somehow find himself tangling with Flyers forward Zac Rinaldo tonight. The pair have a history — Tootoo injured Rinaldo’s neck with a big hit in Jan. 2012, only for Rinaldo to return the favor a month later:
“I didn’t know I hit him until I connected with him and I was like ‘Ohhh, that’s Tootoo,’ ” Rinaldo told Philly.com. “I thought it was a pretty clean hit, so that’s cool.”
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 6
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 7
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 31
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 54