Oct 12, 2013, 9:15 PM EST
There were plenty of debates regarding which prospect – top pick Nathan MacKinnon or fourth selection Seth Jones – should be the first pick of the 2013 NHL Draft. It only seems fitting, then, that both scored their first NHL goals on Saturday.
MacKinnon, 18, made it 3-0 for Colorado against Washington:
Jones, 19, gave Nashville a 1-0 lead against the Islanders:
The 18-year-old has already had a hot start to his career, as he piled up four assists in his first four games. This was his ninth shot so far, so some might even argue that he was “due.”
Either way, the premise that Colorado’s deep offense would present a great situation for MacKinnon to start off seems pretty wise, so far.
Jones, 19, has been sturdy so far for the Predators, but his team has been struggling in ways the Avs clearly aren’t. He came close quite a few times so far this season and finally got his first tonight on a slapper.
To give you an idea of Nashville’s struggles, that’s the Preds’ first 1-0 lead so far in 2013-14.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)