Oct 12, 2013, 9:15 PM EDT
There were plenty of debates regarding which prospect – top pick Nathan MacKinnon or fourth selection Seth Jones – should be the first pick of the 2013 NHL Draft. It only seems fitting, then, that both scored their first NHL goals on Saturday.
MacKinnon, 18, made it 3-0 for Colorado against Washington:
Jones, 19, gave Nashville a 1-0 lead against the Islanders:
The 18-year-old has already had a hot start to his career, as he piled up four assists in his first four games. This was his ninth shot so far, so some might even argue that he was “due.”
Either way, the premise that Colorado’s deep offense would present a great situation for MacKinnon to start off seems pretty wise, so far.
Jones, 19, has been sturdy so far for the Predators, but his team has been struggling in ways the Avs clearly aren’t. He came close quite a few times so far this season and finally got his first tonight on a slapper.
To give you an idea of Nashville’s struggles, that’s the Preds’ first 1-0 lead so far in 2013-14.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 17
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)