Oct 12, 2013, 9:15 PM EST
There were plenty of debates regarding which prospect – top pick Nathan MacKinnon or fourth selection Seth Jones – should be the first pick of the 2013 NHL Draft. It only seems fitting, then, that both scored their first NHL goals on Saturday.
MacKinnon, 18, made it 3-0 for Colorado against Washington:
Jones, 19, gave Nashville a 1-0 lead against the Islanders:
The 18-year-old has already had a hot start to his career, as he piled up four assists in his first four games. This was his ninth shot so far, so some might even argue that he was “due.”
Either way, the premise that Colorado’s deep offense would present a great situation for MacKinnon to start off seems pretty wise, so far.
Jones, 19, has been sturdy so far for the Predators, but his team has been struggling in ways the Avs clearly aren’t. He came close quite a few times so far this season and finally got his first tonight on a slapper.
To give you an idea of Nashville’s struggles, that’s the Preds’ first 1-0 lead so far in 2013-14.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 16
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 4
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 21
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory (53)