Oct 12, 2013, 12:00 AM EST
If there is debate about whether the Calgary Flames should send Sean Monahan back to junior, the teenage rookie is making making a compelling case to stay in the NHL.
Monahan, the sixth overall pick in this year’s NHL Draft, scored his fourth goal of the season on Friday, in the Flames’ 3-2 win over the New Jersey Devils. And this one turned out to be the winning goal.
His 19th birthday is Saturday. The Flames do have the option of sending him back to junior after nine games so as not to burn a year on his entry-level contract.
Should Calgary somehow choose that option, it would certainly lend itself to criticism in that hockey market.
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 8
- Bettman concedes there are ‘some members of the NHL family who would like to see fewer shootouts’ 35
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 18
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 18
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 35
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32