Oct 12, 2013, 12:00 AM EDT
If there is debate about whether the Calgary Flames should send Sean Monahan back to junior, the teenage rookie is making making a compelling case to stay in the NHL.
Monahan, the sixth overall pick in this year’s NHL Draft, scored his fourth goal of the season on Friday, in the Flames’ 3-2 win over the New Jersey Devils. And this one turned out to be the winning goal.
His 19th birthday is Saturday. The Flames do have the option of sending him back to junior after nine games so as not to burn a year on his entry-level contract.
Should Calgary somehow choose that option, it would certainly lend itself to criticism in that hockey market.
- WATCH LIVE: Tampa Bay Lightning at Montreal Canadiens (Game 3) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 6
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 43
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 72
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 23
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 26
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 40