Oct 12, 2013, 12:00 AM EST
If there is debate about whether the Calgary Flames should send Sean Monahan back to junior, the teenage rookie is making making a compelling case to stay in the NHL.
Monahan, the sixth overall pick in this year’s NHL Draft, scored his fourth goal of the season on Friday, in the Flames’ 3-2 win over the New Jersey Devils. And this one turned out to be the winning goal.
His 19th birthday is Saturday. The Flames do have the option of sending him back to junior after nine games so as not to burn a year on his entry-level contract.
Should Calgary somehow choose that option, it would certainly lend itself to criticism in that hockey market.
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 11
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2
- Crosby back for Pens after missing three games with the mumps 1
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 10
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 2
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 25
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11