Oct 12, 2013, 12:00 AM EST
If there is debate about whether the Calgary Flames should send Sean Monahan back to junior, the teenage rookie is making making a compelling case to stay in the NHL.
Monahan, the sixth overall pick in this year’s NHL Draft, scored his fourth goal of the season on Friday, in the Flames’ 3-2 win over the New Jersey Devils. And this one turned out to be the winning goal.
His 19th birthday is Saturday. The Flames do have the option of sending him back to junior after nine games so as not to burn a year on his entry-level contract.
Should Calgary somehow choose that option, it would certainly lend itself to criticism in that hockey market.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 38
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 81
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)