Oct 12, 2013, 12:00 AM EDT
If there is debate about whether the Calgary Flames should send Sean Monahan back to junior, the teenage rookie is making making a compelling case to stay in the NHL.
Monahan, the sixth overall pick in this year’s NHL Draft, scored his fourth goal of the season on Friday, in the Flames’ 3-2 win over the New Jersey Devils. And this one turned out to be the winning goal.
His 19th birthday is Saturday. The Flames do have the option of sending him back to junior after nine games so as not to burn a year on his entry-level contract.
Should Calgary somehow choose that option, it would certainly lend itself to criticism in that hockey market.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)