Oct 12, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
It’s been over two years since Washington traded Semyon Varlamov to Colorado but, thanks to a variety of developments, the opportunity to face his former club had never materialized.
Saturday night, that all changes.
Varlamov will face his ex-Caps mates for the first time — at the Verizon Center, no less — as the red-hot Avs (4-0-0) take on the struggling Caps (1-3-0).
“I have lots of memories with Washington. They gave me the chance to play in the NHL, you know? So this was a special team for me,” Varlamov told the Denver Post. “Yeah, probably, I will be a little bit nervous. But I’m so excited to be coming back and to play in the Verizon Center.”
Outside of maybe Jonathan Bernier, no young goalie is off to a better start than Varlamov. The Russian ‘tender is a perfect 3-0-0 to start the year, posting a 1.00 GAA and .967 save percentage.
Varlamov, 25, comes by that 1.00 GAA honestly. He’s allowed exactly one goal in each of his wins: a 2-1 over Toronto, 3-1 over Nashville and 6-1 over Anaheim in the season opener.
As for tonight, Varlamov will be facing former teammate Michal Neuvirth as the Czech goalie makes his first start of the year. Neuvirth’s only other appearance came in relief of Braden Holtby in a 5-4 shootout win over Calgary.
The matchup should provide some additional emotion for both parties. Varlamov and Neuvirth both battled for games and minutes during the 2009-10 campaign but it was Varlamov that won out, earning the starting gig for the playoffs after Jose Theodore faltered.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)