Oct 12, 2013, 3:00 PM EST
Nashville estimated Vitkor Stalberg would miss 3-4 weeks after injuring his shoulder in the preseason.
Turns out he’ll only miss 18 days.
On Saturday, Stalberg was activated from injured reserve and announced he’d make his regular season debut against the Islanders, his first game since getting hurt during a Sept. 24 exhibition game against Tampa Bay.
“Yes, I’m in tonight,” Stalberg told Sun Belt Hockey following the morning skate. “I wouldn’t be in if I wasn’t 100 percent sure [my shoulder] wasn’t 100 percent functional.”
Stalberg, 27, signed a four-year, $12 million deal with the Preds this summer after winning a Stanley Cup with the Blackhawks. Despite his team’s success in the 2013 playoffs, the Swedish speedster struggled individually, scoring no goals and just three assists in 19 games.
With scoring-challenged Nashville, he was hoping for a top-six role.
It remains to be see where Preds head coach Barry Trotz puts Stalberg tonight, though reports from the morning skate said Stalberg was working with fellow Swede Filip Forsberg.
Nashville could certainly use Stalberg back in the lineup. The club is 1-3-0 to start the year and has scored just six goals over its first four games.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)