Oct 12, 2013, 3:00 PM EST
Nashville estimated Vitkor Stalberg would miss 3-4 weeks after injuring his shoulder in the preseason.
Turns out he’ll only miss 18 days.
On Saturday, Stalberg was activated from injured reserve and announced he’d make his regular season debut against the Islanders, his first game since getting hurt during a Sept. 24 exhibition game against Tampa Bay.
“Yes, I’m in tonight,” Stalberg told Sun Belt Hockey following the morning skate. “I wouldn’t be in if I wasn’t 100 percent sure [my shoulder] wasn’t 100 percent functional.”
Stalberg, 27, signed a four-year, $12 million deal with the Preds this summer after winning a Stanley Cup with the Blackhawks. Despite his team’s success in the 2013 playoffs, the Swedish speedster struggled individually, scoring no goals and just three assists in 19 games.
With scoring-challenged Nashville, he was hoping for a top-six role.
It remains to be see where Preds head coach Barry Trotz puts Stalberg tonight, though reports from the morning skate said Stalberg was working with fellow Swede Filip Forsberg.
Nashville could certainly use Stalberg back in the lineup. The club is 1-3-0 to start the year and has scored just six goals over its first four games.
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 4
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 6
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 72
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (71)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)