Oct 12, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
Nashville estimated Vitkor Stalberg would miss 3-4 weeks after injuring his shoulder in the preseason.
Turns out he’ll only miss 18 days.
On Saturday, Stalberg was activated from injured reserve and announced he’d make his regular season debut against the Islanders, his first game since getting hurt during a Sept. 24 exhibition game against Tampa Bay.
“Yes, I’m in tonight,” Stalberg told Sun Belt Hockey following the morning skate. “I wouldn’t be in if I wasn’t 100 percent sure [my shoulder] wasn’t 100 percent functional.”
Stalberg, 27, signed a four-year, $12 million deal with the Preds this summer after winning a Stanley Cup with the Blackhawks. Despite his team’s success in the 2013 playoffs, the Swedish speedster struggled individually, scoring no goals and just three assists in 19 games.
With scoring-challenged Nashville, he was hoping for a top-six role.
It remains to be see where Preds head coach Barry Trotz puts Stalberg tonight, though reports from the morning skate said Stalberg was working with fellow Swede Filip Forsberg.
Nashville could certainly use Stalberg back in the lineup. The club is 1-3-0 to start the year and has scored just six goals over its first four games.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)