Oct 12, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
Nashville estimated Vitkor Stalberg would miss 3-4 weeks after injuring his shoulder in the preseason.
Turns out he’ll only miss 18 days.
On Saturday, Stalberg was activated from injured reserve and announced he’d make his regular season debut against the Islanders, his first game since getting hurt during a Sept. 24 exhibition game against Tampa Bay.
“Yes, I’m in tonight,” Stalberg told Sun Belt Hockey following the morning skate. “I wouldn’t be in if I wasn’t 100 percent sure [my shoulder] wasn’t 100 percent functional.”
Stalberg, 27, signed a four-year, $12 million deal with the Preds this summer after winning a Stanley Cup with the Blackhawks. Despite his team’s success in the 2013 playoffs, the Swedish speedster struggled individually, scoring no goals and just three assists in 19 games.
With scoring-challenged Nashville, he was hoping for a top-six role.
It remains to be see where Preds head coach Barry Trotz puts Stalberg tonight, though reports from the morning skate said Stalberg was working with fellow Swede Filip Forsberg.
Nashville could certainly use Stalberg back in the lineup. The club is 1-3-0 to start the year and has scored just six goals over its first four games.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 1
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 24
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 36
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)