Oct 12, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Never afraid to share his thoughts, San Jose general manager Doug Wilson has some advice for Caps coach Adam Oates:
Focus on your team, not ours.
That’s what Wilson told CSN Bay Area on Saturday in the wake of Oates criticizing Sharks rookie Tomas Hertl for a between-the-legs goal against the Rangers.
“I think [Oates] should worry about coaching his team, and not worry about being a caretaker of the game,” Wilson said. “I would not allow our coaches to make comments about other team’s players.”
Midweek, Oates said he was “upset” by Hertl’s goal, saying “don’t disrespect the league.” The comments set off a firestorm of questions about Hertl’s actions, potential showboating and the NHL’s unwritten rules — and ultimately led to Joe Thornton making some, ahem, colorful remarks in Hertl’s defense.
Wilson had remained largely silent on the topic until today, which is a tad surprising.
The longtime Sharks GM is known for defending his players publicly, most recently during the 2013 NHL playoffs. After forward Raffi Torres was suspended for the duration of San Jose’s second-round series against L.A., Wilson posted a scathing critique of the league’s disciplinary decision…which cost the organization $100,000 in fines.
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 0
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 8
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 38
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 5
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)