Oct 12, 2013, 3:30 PM EST
Never afraid to share his thoughts, San Jose general manager Doug Wilson has some advice for Caps coach Adam Oates:
Focus on your team, not ours.
That’s what Wilson told CSN Bay Area on Saturday in the wake of Oates criticizing Sharks rookie Tomas Hertl for a between-the-legs goal against the Rangers.
“I think [Oates] should worry about coaching his team, and not worry about being a caretaker of the game,” Wilson said. “I would not allow our coaches to make comments about other team’s players.”
Midweek, Oates said he was “upset” by Hertl’s goal, saying “don’t disrespect the league.” The comments set off a firestorm of questions about Hertl’s actions, potential showboating and the NHL’s unwritten rules — and ultimately led to Joe Thornton making some, ahem, colorful remarks in Hertl’s defense.
Wilson had remained largely silent on the topic until today, which is a tad surprising.
The longtime Sharks GM is known for defending his players publicly, most recently during the 2013 NHL playoffs. After forward Raffi Torres was suspended for the duration of San Jose’s second-round series against L.A., Wilson posted a scathing critique of the league’s disciplinary decision…which cost the organization $100,000 in fines.
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 13
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 19
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 17
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 61
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 28
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (63)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)