Oct 12, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Never afraid to share his thoughts, San Jose general manager Doug Wilson has some advice for Caps coach Adam Oates:
Focus on your team, not ours.
That’s what Wilson told CSN Bay Area on Saturday in the wake of Oates criticizing Sharks rookie Tomas Hertl for a between-the-legs goal against the Rangers.
“I think [Oates] should worry about coaching his team, and not worry about being a caretaker of the game,” Wilson said. “I would not allow our coaches to make comments about other team’s players.”
Midweek, Oates said he was “upset” by Hertl’s goal, saying “don’t disrespect the league.” The comments set off a firestorm of questions about Hertl’s actions, potential showboating and the NHL’s unwritten rules — and ultimately led to Joe Thornton making some, ahem, colorful remarks in Hertl’s defense.
Wilson had remained largely silent on the topic until today, which is a tad surprising.
The longtime Sharks GM is known for defending his players publicly, most recently during the 2013 NHL playoffs. After forward Raffi Torres was suspended for the duration of San Jose’s second-round series against L.A., Wilson posted a scathing critique of the league’s disciplinary decision…which cost the organization $100,000 in fines.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 18
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 14
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)