Oct 12, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
The New Jersey Devils have never gone this deep into a season with a win, a fact that’s eating away at some of the players.
“It’s definitely frustrating,” forward Michael Ryder told the New Jersey Star-Ledger. “We know we shouldn’t have a zero in the win column.”
The 0-3-2 Devils, winless through five games to start the season for the first time in franchise history, are now officially feeling the heat. They’ve shown a near-complete inability to hold onto leads, scoring first in four of their five games and infamously blowing a three-goal third period lead in Edmonton on Monday.
New Jersey also has one of the league’s worst power plays (10 percent) and is the fourth-worst in faceoffs (43.5 percent).
Things don’t appear to get any easier in the near future. The Devils do get a struggling Jets team on Sunday, but the game is in Winnipeg at the raucous MTC Centre.
From there, the club travels to Ottawa for a game against the Sens before taking on their heated rivals, the Rangers, at home on Oct. 19.
Despite the gloomy vibe around the team, veteran Patrik Elias is trying to keep things in perspective.
“We’re not 30 games in, are we? It’s five games,” Elias explained. “We’ve been through it many times. It takes a little play, a little thing to turn things around.
“To find a way to win and not find a way to lose.”
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 4
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)