Oct 12, 2013, 11:30 AM EST
The New Jersey Devils have never gone this deep into a season with a win, a fact that’s eating away at some of the players.
“It’s definitely frustrating,” forward Michael Ryder told the New Jersey Star-Ledger. “We know we shouldn’t have a zero in the win column.”
The 0-3-2 Devils, winless through five games to start the season for the first time in franchise history, are now officially feeling the heat. They’ve shown a near-complete inability to hold onto leads, scoring first in four of their five games and infamously blowing a three-goal third period lead in Edmonton on Monday.
New Jersey also has one of the league’s worst power plays (10 percent) and is the fourth-worst in faceoffs (43.5 percent).
Things don’t appear to get any easier in the near future. The Devils do get a struggling Jets team on Sunday, but the game is in Winnipeg at the raucous MTC Centre.
From there, the club travels to Ottawa for a game against the Sens before taking on their heated rivals, the Rangers, at home on Oct. 19.
Despite the gloomy vibe around the team, veteran Patrik Elias is trying to keep things in perspective.
“We’re not 30 games in, are we? It’s five games,” Elias explained. “We’ve been through it many times. It takes a little play, a little thing to turn things around.
“To find a way to win and not find a way to lose.”
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 28
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)