Oct 12, 2013, 11:30 AM EST
The New Jersey Devils have never gone this deep into a season with a win, a fact that’s eating away at some of the players.
“It’s definitely frustrating,” forward Michael Ryder told the New Jersey Star-Ledger. “We know we shouldn’t have a zero in the win column.”
The 0-3-2 Devils, winless through five games to start the season for the first time in franchise history, are now officially feeling the heat. They’ve shown a near-complete inability to hold onto leads, scoring first in four of their five games and infamously blowing a three-goal third period lead in Edmonton on Monday.
New Jersey also has one of the league’s worst power plays (10 percent) and is the fourth-worst in faceoffs (43.5 percent).
Things don’t appear to get any easier in the near future. The Devils do get a struggling Jets team on Sunday, but the game is in Winnipeg at the raucous MTC Centre.
From there, the club travels to Ottawa for a game against the Sens before taking on their heated rivals, the Rangers, at home on Oct. 19.
Despite the gloomy vibe around the team, veteran Patrik Elias is trying to keep things in perspective.
“We’re not 30 games in, are we? It’s five games,” Elias explained. “We’ve been through it many times. It takes a little play, a little thing to turn things around.
“To find a way to win and not find a way to lose.”
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 27
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)