Oct 12, 2013, 1:53 PM EST
Prior to, the Rask had some complimentary things to say about his counterpart.
“[Bobrovsky’s] not the typical Russian goalie,” Rask told the Boston Herald. “Most of the Russians who come out now are pretty technical. He’s a butterfly goalie, but he’s also pretty athletic.
“He can make that amazing save when needed.”
Both goalies have been remarkably stingy this year. Rask is 2-1-0 with a 1.01 GAA and .966 save percentage; Bobrovsky is also 2-1-0, with 2.27 GAA and .920 save percentage.
In terms of bragging rights, each has something to bring to the table.
Bobrovsky’s the reigning Vezina winner and, in keeping with the theme of this post, the first-ever Russian to capture the award. But Rask’s got plenty on his resume as well, including a trip to last year’s Stanley Cup Final and a new $56 million contract extension, making him one of the NHL’s highest-paid netminders.
Rask appears to be a real student of the game, especially when it comes to fellow members of the goalie’s union. He sounds like someone that’s thoroughly studied Bobrovsky’s game, and likes what he sees.
“Goalies have to be athletic and in good shape, especially the way (the NHL is) cutting down our gear every year. It seems to get smaller every year,” he told the Herald. So you have to be athletic and be more of a hybrid than just trying to cut your angles and be big.
“Bobrovsky is very good at both.”
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)