Oct 12, 2013, 11:52 AM EDT
Jonathan Bernier‘s stranglehold on Toronto’s No. 1 goaltending job just got a little tighter.
Bernier will get the nod tonight at home against Edmonton, marking his third consecutive start and the first time in his six-year career he’s started three in a row.
The 25-year-old gets the net after another stellar effort against Nashville on Thursday. Bernier stopped all 36 shots in a 4-0 win over the Preds, pushing his numbers on the year to a gaudy 3-1-0 with a .974 save percentage and 0.85 GAA.
The decision means Toronto’s starting goalie of last season, James Reimer, will have gone a week between appearances. The last time Reimer played was last Saturday against Ottawa, when he was yanked in favor of Bernier after allowing four goals on 21 shots.
Bernier never had a chance for successive starts in L.A., thanks in large part to Jonathan Quick‘s outstanding play and his workhorse-like approach to playing time. Quick appeared in a career-high 72 games in 2009-10, and followed that up with 69 games played during the Stanley Cup championship year of 2011-12.
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)