Oct 12, 2013, 11:52 AM EDT
Jonathan Bernier‘s stranglehold on Toronto’s No. 1 goaltending job just got a little tighter.
Bernier will get the nod tonight at home against Edmonton, marking his third consecutive start and the first time in his six-year career he’s started three in a row.
The 25-year-old gets the net after another stellar effort against Nashville on Thursday. Bernier stopped all 36 shots in a 4-0 win over the Preds, pushing his numbers on the year to a gaudy 3-1-0 with a .974 save percentage and 0.85 GAA.
The decision means Toronto’s starting goalie of last season, James Reimer, will have gone a week between appearances. The last time Reimer played was last Saturday against Ottawa, when he was yanked in favor of Bernier after allowing four goals on 21 shots.
Bernier never had a chance for successive starts in L.A., thanks in large part to Jonathan Quick‘s outstanding play and his workhorse-like approach to playing time. Quick appeared in a career-high 72 games in 2009-10, and followed that up with 69 games played during the Stanley Cup championship year of 2011-12.
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 0
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 4
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)