Oct 12, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Brendan Gallagher was a junior hockey star in Vancouver, and now he’ll return to that city as a member of the Montreal Canadiens.
Gallagher, who hit the 40-goal mark in three of his four seasons with the Vancouver Giants of the Western Hockey League, and the Habs face the Canucks at Rogers Arena on Saturday.
He may originally be from Edmonton, but this is a homecoming for Gallagher. It’s the first time he will play in Vancouver as an NHLer.
“When I first step on the ice it’ll to be pretty cool,” Gallagher told The Canadian Press.
“There’s going to be a lot of people watching that helped me get to this point and sacrificed a lot so you want to play well and show them how proud you are of what they’ve done for you.”
Gallagher, who is listed at 5’9″ and 180 pounds, has faced long odds to succeed in hockey dating back to junior.
The Canadiens selected him in the fifth round of the 2010 NHL Draft, however he shot up the ranks within that organization and had an impressive rookie season in 2013.
In 44 games during the lockout-shortened campaign, Gallagher had 15 goals and 28 points. That earned him a Calder Trophy nomination for top rookie in the NHL last season.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)