Oct 12, 2013, 9:00 AM EST
Brendan Gallagher was a junior hockey star in Vancouver, and now he’ll return to that city as a member of the Montreal Canadiens.
Gallagher, who hit the 40-goal mark in three of his four seasons with the Vancouver Giants of the Western Hockey League, and the Habs face the Canucks at Rogers Arena on Saturday.
He may originally be from Edmonton, but this is a homecoming for Gallagher. It’s the first time he will play in Vancouver as an NHLer.
“When I first step on the ice it’ll to be pretty cool,” Gallagher told The Canadian Press.
“There’s going to be a lot of people watching that helped me get to this point and sacrificed a lot so you want to play well and show them how proud you are of what they’ve done for you.”
Gallagher, who is listed at 5’9″ and 180 pounds, has faced long odds to succeed in hockey dating back to junior.
The Canadiens selected him in the fifth round of the 2010 NHL Draft, however he shot up the ranks within that organization and had an impressive rookie season in 2013.
In 44 games during the lockout-shortened campaign, Gallagher had 15 goals and 28 points. That earned him a Calder Trophy nomination for top rookie in the NHL last season.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 0
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 5
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 0
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 9
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 6
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 15
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)