Oct 12, 2013, 9:00 AM EST
Brendan Gallagher was a junior hockey star in Vancouver, and now he’ll return to that city as a member of the Montreal Canadiens.
Gallagher, who hit the 40-goal mark in three of his four seasons with the Vancouver Giants of the Western Hockey League, and the Habs face the Canucks at Rogers Arena on Saturday.
He may originally be from Edmonton, but this is a homecoming for Gallagher. It’s the first time he will play in Vancouver as an NHLer.
“When I first step on the ice it’ll to be pretty cool,” Gallagher told The Canadian Press.
“There’s going to be a lot of people watching that helped me get to this point and sacrificed a lot so you want to play well and show them how proud you are of what they’ve done for you.”
Gallagher, who is listed at 5’9″ and 180 pounds, has faced long odds to succeed in hockey dating back to junior.
The Canadiens selected him in the fifth round of the 2010 NHL Draft, however he shot up the ranks within that organization and had an impressive rookie season in 2013.
In 44 games during the lockout-shortened campaign, Gallagher had 15 goals and 28 points. That earned him a Calder Trophy nomination for top rookie in the NHL last season.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)