Oct 12, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Brendan Gallagher was a junior hockey star in Vancouver, and now he’ll return to that city as a member of the Montreal Canadiens.
Gallagher, who hit the 40-goal mark in three of his four seasons with the Vancouver Giants of the Western Hockey League, and the Habs face the Canucks at Rogers Arena on Saturday.
He may originally be from Edmonton, but this is a homecoming for Gallagher. It’s the first time he will play in Vancouver as an NHLer.
“When I first step on the ice it’ll to be pretty cool,” Gallagher told The Canadian Press.
“There’s going to be a lot of people watching that helped me get to this point and sacrificed a lot so you want to play well and show them how proud you are of what they’ve done for you.”
Gallagher, who is listed at 5’9″ and 180 pounds, has faced long odds to succeed in hockey dating back to junior.
The Canadiens selected him in the fifth round of the 2010 NHL Draft, however he shot up the ranks within that organization and had an impressive rookie season in 2013.
In 44 games during the lockout-shortened campaign, Gallagher had 15 goals and 28 points. That earned him a Calder Trophy nomination for top rookie in the NHL last season.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)