Oct 12, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Brendan Gallagher was a junior hockey star in Vancouver, and now he’ll return to that city as a member of the Montreal Canadiens.
Gallagher, who hit the 40-goal mark in three of his four seasons with the Vancouver Giants of the Western Hockey League, and the Habs face the Canucks at Rogers Arena on Saturday.
He may originally be from Edmonton, but this is a homecoming for Gallagher. It’s the first time he will play in Vancouver as an NHLer.
“When I first step on the ice it’ll to be pretty cool,” Gallagher told The Canadian Press.
“There’s going to be a lot of people watching that helped me get to this point and sacrificed a lot so you want to play well and show them how proud you are of what they’ve done for you.”
Gallagher, who is listed at 5’9″ and 180 pounds, has faced long odds to succeed in hockey dating back to junior.
The Canadiens selected him in the fifth round of the 2010 NHL Draft, however he shot up the ranks within that organization and had an impressive rookie season in 2013.
In 44 games during the lockout-shortened campaign, Gallagher had 15 goals and 28 points. That earned him a Calder Trophy nomination for top rookie in the NHL last season.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)