Oct 12, 2013, 10:24 PM EDT
For some time, Washington Capitals fans crowed about how much their team won the trade that sent Semyon Varlamov to Colorado. One can still debate that point, but the former Caps goalie enjoyed cold revenge on Saturday, as his Avalanche crushed Washington 5-1.
Neuvirth was the victim tonight, allowing five goals on 28 shots. Colorado beat him three times at even-strength, once on the power play and even once shorthanded.
It’s super early, but some Caps fans might weep at how their goalies are comparing to Varlamov so far:
Varlamov, 25: 4-0-0, .970 save percentage, 1.00 GAA
Holtby, 24: 0-3-0, .873 save percentage, 4.04 GAA
Neuvirth, 25: 1-1-0, .893 save percentage, 3.30 GAA
Washington’s top line of Alex Ovechkin, Nicklas Backstrom and Marcus Johansson has been a bright spot to start, but they had a rough night, combining for a -8 rating and zero points. Eric Fehr scored the shutout-spoiling goal in the third period.
Meanwhile, the Avalanche continue to ride high, improving their record to 5-0-0 as their goaltending remains hot and their offense continues to be dangerous and diverse (2013 first-rounder Nathan MacKinnon scored his first goal of the season and added his fifth assist).
Varlamov won’t be able to maintain a .970 save percentage much longer, and at least one of Washington’s goalies should start figuring things out, but the two teams seemed to be headed in starkly different directions on Saturday.
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 4
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 5
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)