Oct 12, 2013, 11:39 PM EST
Despite being a starting goalie many moons ago in Philadelphia, Martin Biron seems very comfortable in his role as Henrik Lundqvist‘s backup. Still, after a rough Saturday performance, New York Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault admitted that the Rangers might not be so comfortable about Biron to the Bergen Record’s Andrew Gross.
AV, on whether he can trust Biron for 20-plus starts. “It’s a good question. I want to take a look at the tape and analyze the game.”
— Andrew Gross (@AGrossRecord) October 13, 2013
Biron, 36, was probably the goat in the Rangers’ 5-3 loss to the St. Louis Blues on Saturday.
New York carried the play through two periods, especially in the middle frame, out-shooting St. Louis 13-5. Instead of that giving the Rangers the advantage, Biron allowed three goals on those five shots.
Judge his culpability regarding that trio for yourself:
Biron allowed four goals on 17 shots before giving way to Henrik Lundqvist, who stopped 16 of 17 shots as the Blues erupted in the third period.
(At least Lundqvist said that sharp work made him feel a little better.)
The Rangers’ next game doesn’t come until they visit the Capitals on Wednesday, so the Rangers could ponder the backup question for a few days. Biron isn’t cheap for a No. 2, either, as he’ll make $1.3 million in the final year of his deal.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)