Oct 12, 2013, 11:39 PM EDT
Despite being a starting goalie many moons ago in Philadelphia, Martin Biron seems very comfortable in his role as Henrik Lundqvist‘s backup. Still, after a rough Saturday performance, New York Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault admitted that the Rangers might not be so comfortable about Biron to the Bergen Record’s Andrew Gross.
AV, on whether he can trust Biron for 20-plus starts. “It’s a good question. I want to take a look at the tape and analyze the game.”
— Andrew Gross (@AGrossRecord) October 13, 2013
Biron, 36, was probably the goat in the Rangers’ 5-3 loss to the St. Louis Blues on Saturday.
New York carried the play through two periods, especially in the middle frame, out-shooting St. Louis 13-5. Instead of that giving the Rangers the advantage, Biron allowed three goals on those five shots.
Judge his culpability regarding that trio for yourself:
Biron allowed four goals on 17 shots before giving way to Henrik Lundqvist, who stopped 16 of 17 shots as the Blues erupted in the third period.
(At least Lundqvist said that sharp work made him feel a little better.)
The Rangers’ next game doesn’t come until they visit the Capitals on Wednesday, so the Rangers could ponder the backup question for a few days. Biron isn’t cheap for a No. 2, either, as he’ll make $1.3 million in the final year of his deal.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)