Oct 12, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
The Calgary Flames are off to a surprising 3-0-2 start to the season, and the surprise within that surprise is who’s leading the charge.
Sean Monahan, the 19-year-old rookie taken sixth overall at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, leads the team with four goals in five games and is impressing everybody involved with the club — including his captain, Mark Giordano.
“He’s definitely raising some eyebrows,” Giordano told the Calgary Herald. “Now it’s almost become like he’s our go-to guy and it’s expected. He has a knack for the net and he has a great touch.
“That (goal is) not as easy as he made it look, to one-touch it from your off-side.”
Here’s the goal Giordano was speaking of — the game-winner in Friday’s 3-2 win over New Jersey.
All told, Monahan is now making a run at Calgary’s scoring lead (he has six points; Jiri Hudler has seven) and has put himself in the mix for Calder Trophy consideration. While the early leader is undoubtedly San Jose’s Tomas Hertl (6G, 1A), Monahan is right there (4g, 2A) and doing it on a Calgary team with far less talent at forward.
Flames head coach Bob Hartley is so impressed with Monahan, he’s coming up with new descriptors on a daily basis.
“He’s a monster player,” Hartley said following the victory over the Devils. “He’s knows where to get open, plus every time I see him with the puck, it seems to find the back of the net.
“You call this a gifted player. He has that touch. He’s a very special young player for us.”
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)