Oct 12, 2013, 8:45 PM EST
The Boston Bruins are looking fantastic, but that doesn’t mean everyone’s on a hot streak. Loui Eriksson finally scored on Saturday, but Brad Marchand continues to find himself slipping, as he saw his role and ice time diminish.
After the game, Boston Bruins head coach Claude Julien acknowledged Marchand’s struggles and explained his demotion to the third line to media members including CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty.
“Sometimes you have to take a guy away from where he is to take pressure off,” Julien said. “He’s fighting it. No doubt he’s fighting it.”
Marchand, 25, has one goal and zero assists in four games so far this season. His average ice time is down from 16:58 last season to 15:22 so far, as he saw fewer reps with each passing period today.
It seems that he’s even antagonizing less than usual, as he hasn’t even take a trip to the penalty box yet in 2013-14.
There are plenty of possible reasons why he’s struggling, including losing running mate Tyler Seguin via that splashy trade (maybe he just misses his friend?). He’s not the only prominent Bruins forward to struggle – Milan Lucic and his former running mate Nathan Horton slumped in 2013 – so the key is for him to work his way out of it.
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 10
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 26
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 78
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)