Oct 11, 2013, 1:48 PM EDT
Jeff Zatkoff may only be in the NHL because of Tomas Vokoun‘s health issues, but Pittsburgh captain Sidney Crosby doesn’t think the Penguins need to play in an overly protective fashion when the 26-year-old goalie makes his debut tonight in Florida versus the Panthers.
“I think he’s a good goalie,” Crosby said, per TribLIVE.com. “You don’t want to leave him hung out to dry or anything, but honestly, I don’t think we need to change the way we’re playing when he gets in there. He’s been good. He looks calm.”
Zatkoff has put up good numbers in the AHL. He had a .920 save percentage last season in 49 appearances for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. Hence, general manager Ray Shero’s decision to see what Zatkoff can do, as opposed to acquiring a veteran backup for Marc-Andre Fleury while Vokoun is out.
While tonight’s start against Florida may seem like a relatively easy one, it’s worth noting that this is the home-opener for a Panthers team that’s actually played pretty well in two of its first four games. The Panthers managed 39 shots in beating Dallas, 4-2, last week and 34 in a 2-1 loss to Philadelphia on Tuesday.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 9
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 20
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 91
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (93)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)