Oct 11, 2013, 1:48 PM EDT
Jeff Zatkoff may only be in the NHL because of Tomas Vokoun‘s health issues, but Pittsburgh captain Sidney Crosby doesn’t think the Penguins need to play in an overly protective fashion when the 26-year-old goalie makes his debut tonight in Florida versus the Panthers.
“I think he’s a good goalie,” Crosby said, per TribLIVE.com. “You don’t want to leave him hung out to dry or anything, but honestly, I don’t think we need to change the way we’re playing when he gets in there. He’s been good. He looks calm.”
Zatkoff has put up good numbers in the AHL. He had a .920 save percentage last season in 49 appearances for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. Hence, general manager Ray Shero’s decision to see what Zatkoff can do, as opposed to acquiring a veteran backup for Marc-Andre Fleury while Vokoun is out.
While tonight’s start against Florida may seem like a relatively easy one, it’s worth noting that this is the home-opener for a Panthers team that’s actually played pretty well in two of its first four games. The Panthers managed 39 shots in beating Dallas, 4-2, last week and 34 in a 2-1 loss to Philadelphia on Tuesday.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)