Oct 11, 2013, 12:10 AM EST
After a couple years of falling short of expectations, Alex Ovechkin rebounded under Capitals coach Adam Oates last season. That’s extended into the 2013-14 campaign in a big way with Ovechkin finding the back of the net in each of his first four contests.
He’s just the third player in Capitals’ history to open the season with a four-game goal scoring streak, according to the Elias Sports Bureau and CSN Washington. However, he needed a bit of luck tonight.
Ovechkin managed to knock Steve Oleksy‘s shot out of midair, which lead to some odd bounces. You can see the goal below:
That gives him five goals and seven points, but it hasn’t been enough for the Capitals. They suffered a 3-2 loss to the Carolina Hurricanes tonight to drop to 1-3-0 this season.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 16
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 41
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (41)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)