Oct 11, 2013, 12:10 AM EDT
After a couple years of falling short of expectations, Alex Ovechkin rebounded under Capitals coach Adam Oates last season. That’s extended into the 2013-14 campaign in a big way with Ovechkin finding the back of the net in each of his first four contests.
He’s just the third player in Capitals’ history to open the season with a four-game goal scoring streak, according to the Elias Sports Bureau and CSN Washington. However, he needed a bit of luck tonight.
Ovechkin managed to knock Steve Oleksy‘s shot out of midair, which lead to some odd bounces. You can see the goal below:
That gives him five goals and seven points, but it hasn’t been enough for the Capitals. They suffered a 3-2 loss to the Carolina Hurricanes tonight to drop to 1-3-0 this season.
- Video: Ryan Kesler injured on knee-on-knee collision, on his way back to Vancouver 3
- Discuss: Bruins run over Habs in newest chapter of historic rivalry 15
- Peverley to undergo heart procedure, will miss rest of season 13
- Comeau gets two games for boarding Smith 9
- Three things the Canucks haven’t done well under Torts 22
- Gillis won’t say if Tortorella’s lost Canucks room 31
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 6
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 30
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 18
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (72)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (61)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)