Oct 11, 2013, 9:52 AM EST
Elias Lindholm didn’t have to wait too long before he scored his first NHL goal.
In an eventual 3-2 victory over the Washington Capitals, the 18-year-old forward got Carolina on the board in the second period with a shot that appeared to deflect off two Washington players before just barely getting past goaltender Braden Holtby.
You can view that goal below:
Lindholm was playing in just his fourth NHL game after being selected with the fifth overall pick in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft. We’ve been spoiled by rookies lately between Tomas Hertl and Sean Monahan‘s early heroics, but it’s a long season and Lindholm shouldn’t be overlooked.
Like Hertl, Lindholm is attempting to make the transition to the NHL straight from a European league. In Lindholm’s case, he scored 11 goals and 30 points in 48 games in Sweden before joining the Hurricanes.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 3
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)