Oct 11, 2013, 9:52 AM EDT
Elias Lindholm didn’t have to wait too long before he scored his first NHL goal.
In an eventual 3-2 victory over the Washington Capitals, the 18-year-old forward got Carolina on the board in the second period with a shot that appeared to deflect off two Washington players before just barely getting past goaltender Braden Holtby.
You can view that goal below:
Lindholm was playing in just his fourth NHL game after being selected with the fifth overall pick in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft. We’ve been spoiled by rookies lately between Tomas Hertl and Sean Monahan‘s early heroics, but it’s a long season and Lindholm shouldn’t be overlooked.
Like Hertl, Lindholm is attempting to make the transition to the NHL straight from a European league. In Lindholm’s case, he scored 11 goals and 30 points in 48 games in Sweden before joining the Hurricanes.
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 0
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 34
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 15
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 59
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (59)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)