Oct 11, 2013, 9:52 AM EDT
Elias Lindholm didn’t have to wait too long before he scored his first NHL goal.
In an eventual 3-2 victory over the Washington Capitals, the 18-year-old forward got Carolina on the board in the second period with a shot that appeared to deflect off two Washington players before just barely getting past goaltender Braden Holtby.
You can view that goal below:
Lindholm was playing in just his fourth NHL game after being selected with the fifth overall pick in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft. We’ve been spoiled by rookies lately between Tomas Hertl and Sean Monahan‘s early heroics, but it’s a long season and Lindholm shouldn’t be overlooked.
Like Hertl, Lindholm is attempting to make the transition to the NHL straight from a European league. In Lindholm’s case, he scored 11 goals and 30 points in 48 games in Sweden before joining the Hurricanes.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 2
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 22
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)