Oct 11, 2013, 2:53 PM EDT
The craziest thing about the Calgary Flames’ undefeated-in-regulation start is that they could easily be undefeated, period.
Consider the two games they didn’t win. In the season-opener, they blew a 3-0 lead to Washington and lost, 5-4, in a shootout. Against Vancouver, they blew a 3-1 lead and lost 5-4 in overtime.
Remember, the rebuilding Flames were picked by many to finish dead last in the NHL. But with six out of a possible eight points to start the season, their fans are cautiously wondering if things might not be so bad after all.
Tonight, the winless New Jersey Devils are in town to play the Flames and their 18-year-old rookie, Sean Monahan, scorer of three goals and two assists in his first four games in the NHL.
“I sometimes pinch myself and wonder if I need to check his birth certificate, the poise he is showing for an 18-year-old kid,” coach Bob Hartley said after Wednesday’s 3-2 win over Montreal. “He is having fun, he is bringing passion, he is bringing excitement and he’s learning. He is a pretty special kid.”
They’ll need to keep those strong performances coming, because after they’re finished with the Devils they head out on a tough five-game road trip to Anaheim, San Jose, Los Angeles, Phoenix and Dallas.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)