Oct 11, 2013, 2:53 PM EST
The craziest thing about the Calgary Flames’ undefeated-in-regulation start is that they could easily be undefeated, period.
Consider the two games they didn’t win. In the season-opener, they blew a 3-0 lead to Washington and lost, 5-4, in a shootout. Against Vancouver, they blew a 3-1 lead and lost 5-4 in overtime.
Remember, the rebuilding Flames were picked by many to finish dead last in the NHL. But with six out of a possible eight points to start the season, their fans are cautiously wondering if things might not be so bad after all.
Tonight, the winless New Jersey Devils are in town to play the Flames and their 18-year-old rookie, Sean Monahan, scorer of three goals and two assists in his first four games in the NHL.
“I sometimes pinch myself and wonder if I need to check his birth certificate, the poise he is showing for an 18-year-old kid,” coach Bob Hartley said after Wednesday’s 3-2 win over Montreal. “He is having fun, he is bringing passion, he is bringing excitement and he’s learning. He is a pretty special kid.”
They’ll need to keep those strong performances coming, because after they’re finished with the Devils they head out on a tough five-game road trip to Anaheim, San Jose, Los Angeles, Phoenix and Dallas.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)