Oct 11, 2013, 2:53 PM EDT
The craziest thing about the Calgary Flames’ undefeated-in-regulation start is that they could easily be undefeated, period.
Consider the two games they didn’t win. In the season-opener, they blew a 3-0 lead to Washington and lost, 5-4, in a shootout. Against Vancouver, they blew a 3-1 lead and lost 5-4 in overtime.
Remember, the rebuilding Flames were picked by many to finish dead last in the NHL. But with six out of a possible eight points to start the season, their fans are cautiously wondering if things might not be so bad after all.
Tonight, the winless New Jersey Devils are in town to play the Flames and their 18-year-old rookie, Sean Monahan, scorer of three goals and two assists in his first four games in the NHL.
“I sometimes pinch myself and wonder if I need to check his birth certificate, the poise he is showing for an 18-year-old kid,” coach Bob Hartley said after Wednesday’s 3-2 win over Montreal. “He is having fun, he is bringing passion, he is bringing excitement and he’s learning. He is a pretty special kid.”
They’ll need to keep those strong performances coming, because after they’re finished with the Devils they head out on a tough five-game road trip to Anaheim, San Jose, Los Angeles, Phoenix and Dallas.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)