Oct 11, 2013, 9:31 AM EST
The NHL has offered Buffalo’s Patrick Kaleta an in-person hearing for his high elbow to Columbus’ Jack Johnson. The fact that it’s in-person is significant because that would allow the NHL to suspend Kaleta for more than five games.
Kaleta wasn’t penalized for that hit, but it did lead to a fight with Jared Boll and both players got five minutes for that.
The Sabres forward is a repeat offender. Last season he was suspended for five games due to his “extremely dangerous” hit on Brad Richards. He also got four games in 2011 for headbutting Jakub Voracek.
You can view the incident in question below (the hit is at about 0:28):
Hertl appeared to be going in for a check on Edler and caught Hertl’s head in the exchange. Edler didn’t receive a penalty on the play.
This isn’t the first time Edler’s gotten in hot water though. He got a two-game suspension last season after colliding with Phoenix Coyotes goaltender Mike Smith. Edler also got in trouble internationally over his knee-on-knee hit to Eric Staal.
That incident can be viewed below (skip to the one minute mark for the hit):
Hertl and Johnson both seemed to avoid head injuries on Thursday.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)