Oct 11, 2013, 9:31 AM EDT
The NHL has offered Buffalo’s Patrick Kaleta an in-person hearing for his high elbow to Columbus’ Jack Johnson. The fact that it’s in-person is significant because that would allow the NHL to suspend Kaleta for more than five games.
Kaleta wasn’t penalized for that hit, but it did lead to a fight with Jared Boll and both players got five minutes for that.
The Sabres forward is a repeat offender. Last season he was suspended for five games due to his “extremely dangerous” hit on Brad Richards. He also got four games in 2011 for headbutting Jakub Voracek.
You can view the incident in question below (the hit is at about 0:28):
Hertl appeared to be going in for a check on Edler and caught Hertl’s head in the exchange. Edler didn’t receive a penalty on the play.
This isn’t the first time Edler’s gotten in hot water though. He got a two-game suspension last season after colliding with Phoenix Coyotes goaltender Mike Smith. Edler also got in trouble internationally over his knee-on-knee hit to Eric Staal.
That incident can be viewed below (skip to the one minute mark for the hit):
Hertl and Johnson both seemed to avoid head injuries on Thursday.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)