Oct 11, 2013, 9:31 AM EDT
The NHL has offered Buffalo’s Patrick Kaleta an in-person hearing for his high elbow to Columbus’ Jack Johnson. The fact that it’s in-person is significant because that would allow the NHL to suspend Kaleta for more than five games.
Kaleta wasn’t penalized for that hit, but it did lead to a fight with Jared Boll and both players got five minutes for that.
The Sabres forward is a repeat offender. Last season he was suspended for five games due to his “extremely dangerous” hit on Brad Richards. He also got four games in 2011 for headbutting Jakub Voracek.
You can view the incident in question below (the hit is at about 0:28):
Hertl appeared to be going in for a check on Edler and caught Hertl’s head in the exchange. Edler didn’t receive a penalty on the play.
This isn’t the first time Edler’s gotten in hot water though. He got a two-game suspension last season after colliding with Phoenix Coyotes goaltender Mike Smith. Edler also got in trouble internationally over his knee-on-knee hit to Eric Staal.
That incident can be viewed below (skip to the one minute mark for the hit):
Hertl and Johnson both seemed to avoid head injuries on Thursday.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)