Oct 11, 2013, 3:50 PM EDT
Lundqvist, 31, admitted that his confidence was shaken after allowing six goals against the Anaheim Ducks in Thursday’s embarrassing loss.
“I don’t have an explanation. You try just to battle,” Lundqvist said. “I can only speak for myself. You try to stay confident. but that’s really tough in a game like this, a situation like this. I have to better, we have to be better. Let’s not point any fingers; we all have to step up.”
Rangers GM Glen Sather said he expected the team to face growing pains, just not to these proportions (1-3-0 record with six goals scored, a league-high 20 allowed).
“I expected some but I didn’t think it would be this bad,” Sather said. “Some guys are struggling; we’ll get better.”
Considering Lundqvist’s rough start (.879 save percentage, 4.31 GAA), it might be better for everyone if he takes a little breather. The Rangers enjoy what might be a helpful gap between tomorrow’s game in St. Louis and Wednesday’s trip to face the also-struggling Washington Capitals.
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 3
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 10
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 7
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 28
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)