Oct 11, 2013, 3:50 PM EST
Lundqvist, 31, admitted that his confidence was shaken after allowing six goals against the Anaheim Ducks in Thursday’s embarrassing loss.
“I don’t have an explanation. You try just to battle,” Lundqvist said. “I can only speak for myself. You try to stay confident. but that’s really tough in a game like this, a situation like this. I have to better, we have to be better. Let’s not point any fingers; we all have to step up.”
Rangers GM Glen Sather said he expected the team to face growing pains, just not to these proportions (1-3-0 record with six goals scored, a league-high 20 allowed).
“I expected some but I didn’t think it would be this bad,” Sather said. “Some guys are struggling; we’ll get better.”
Considering Lundqvist’s rough start (.879 save percentage, 4.31 GAA), it might be better for everyone if he takes a little breather. The Rangers enjoy what might be a helpful gap between tomorrow’s game in St. Louis and Wednesday’s trip to face the also-struggling Washington Capitals.
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 5
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 74
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 72
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 63
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 37
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 72
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 170
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (170)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (75)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (72)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (72)