Oct 11, 2013, 12:11 PM EDT
It’s still early in the season and there’s no need to panic, blah, blah, blah, but let’s do a poll anyway. Here are the candidates:
New York Rangers (1-3-0): Have been outscored 15-2 in their last two games. The only bright spot has been a 3-1 win over the Kings in Los Angeles. The bumbling Blueshirts still have five games left on their nine-game, season-opening road trip, and in some pretty tough rinks, too. St. Louis, Washington, New Jersey, Philadelphia, and Detroit are their next stops before they finally get home to a renovated Madison Square Garden (which better be pretty damn nice, Rangers fans are probably thinking).
Buffalo Sabres (0-4-1): One of only two winless teams in the NHL (the other being the Devils, who at least have only lost outright once.) The Sabres have scored five goals in five games. That’s it. Last night’s 4-1 home loss to Columbus may have been the low point. Apparently there was a “fire Darcy” chant from the disgruntled crowd. No word if owner Terry Pegula participated.
Edmonton Oilers (1-3-0): This was supposed to be the season the Oilers finally turned the corner. Of course, so was last season. Edmonton lost again last night, 4-1 at home to Montreal. Starting goalie Devan Dubnyk had his least tough start of the season, but it still wasn’t very good. He’s now allowed 13 goals in three games and has a GAA of 5.28, with a save percentage of .847.
Florida Panthers (1-3-0): It started so well for last year’s worst team in the NHL, with a 4-2 win in Dallas. Since then, the Panthers have been outscored 16-3, including last night’s 7-2 loss to in-state rivals Tampa Bay. “We didn’t respond well to pressure,” Florida coach Kevin Dineen said. No, they didn’t. The Panthers play their first home game tomorrow versus Pittsburgh. Yes, cheap tickets are available.
Editor’s note: I somehow forgot the Flyers. Yeah, the team that’s already fired its coach. Maybe because we so rarely mention Pennsylvania teams on PHT? Anyway, Philly’s on a one-game winning streak, so things are looking up!
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 5
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)