Oct 11, 2013, 12:11 PM EDT
It’s still early in the season and there’s no need to panic, blah, blah, blah, but let’s do a poll anyway. Here are the candidates:
New York Rangers (1-3-0): Have been outscored 15-2 in their last two games. The only bright spot has been a 3-1 win over the Kings in Los Angeles. The bumbling Blueshirts still have five games left on their nine-game, season-opening road trip, and in some pretty tough rinks, too. St. Louis, Washington, New Jersey, Philadelphia, and Detroit are their next stops before they finally get home to a renovated Madison Square Garden (which better be pretty damn nice, Rangers fans are probably thinking).
Buffalo Sabres (0-4-1): One of only two winless teams in the NHL (the other being the Devils, who at least have only lost outright once.) The Sabres have scored five goals in five games. That’s it. Last night’s 4-1 home loss to Columbus may have been the low point. Apparently there was a “fire Darcy” chant from the disgruntled crowd. No word if owner Terry Pegula participated.
Edmonton Oilers (1-3-0): This was supposed to be the season the Oilers finally turned the corner. Of course, so was last season. Edmonton lost again last night, 4-1 at home to Montreal. Starting goalie Devan Dubnyk had his least tough start of the season, but it still wasn’t very good. He’s now allowed 13 goals in three games and has a GAA of 5.28, with a save percentage of .847.
Florida Panthers (1-3-0): It started so well for last year’s worst team in the NHL, with a 4-2 win in Dallas. Since then, the Panthers have been outscored 16-3, including last night’s 7-2 loss to in-state rivals Tampa Bay. “We didn’t respond well to pressure,” Florida coach Kevin Dineen said. No, they didn’t. The Panthers play their first home game tomorrow versus Pittsburgh. Yes, cheap tickets are available.
Editor’s note: I somehow forgot the Flyers. Yeah, the team that’s already fired its coach. Maybe because we so rarely mention Pennsylvania teams on PHT? Anyway, Philly’s on a one-game winning streak, so things are looking up!
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 2
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 30
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 24
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 15
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 52
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 28
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)