Oct 11, 2013, 10:38 AM EST
It’s a great day for college hockey and its fans as they will have more reasons to tune in on Friday nights throughout the season.
NBC announced they’ve struck a deal with the University of Notre Dame to carry Fighting Irish home games from Compton Family Ice Arena for the next three years.
This season alone will see NBCSN carry 20 games over the air, including 12 from Notre Dame. This season, the Fighting Irish moved into Hockey East which means heated games against classic college hockey stalwarts like Boston College, Boston University, and New Hampshire as well as rising programs in Providence College and UMass-Lowell.
Coverage begins tonight at 8 p.m. ET with Notre Dame hosting coach Andy Murray‘s Western Michigan Broncos.
As for the full slate of games to be aired this season, here’s the schedule (all times Eastern):
- October 11 Western Michigan – Notre Dame 8 p.m.
- October 25 Massachusetts – Maine 8 p.m.
- November 1 Northeastern – Boston College 8 p.m.
- November 8 Minnesota – Notre Dame 7:30 p.m.
- November 15 Merrimack – Notre Dame 7:30 p.m.
- November 22 North Dakota – Boston University 7:30 p.m.
- December 6 Massachusetts – Notre Dame 7:30 p.m.
- December 7 Massachusetts – Notre Dame 6:30 p.m.
- December 13 Colorado College – Wisconsin 7:30 p.m.
- January 10 Alabama Huntsville – Notre Dame 7:30 p.m.
- January 17 Lake Superior State – Notre Dame 7:30 p.m.
- January 18 Penn State – Michigan State 6:30 p.m.
- January 24 Northeastern – Notre Dame 7:30 p.m.
- January 25 Northeastern – Notre Dame 7:00 p.m.
- January 31 Boston University – Massachusetts 7:30 p.m.
- February 1 Wisconsin – Michigan 6:30 p.m.
- February 7 Maine – Notre Dame 7:30 p.m.
- February 8 Maine – Notre Dame 8 p.m.
- February 14 Boston University – New Hampshire 7 p.m.
- February 15 Wisconsin – Ohio State 8 p.m.
- February 21 Boston University – Notre Dame 7 p.m.
- March 1 Penn State – Minnesota TBD
Coverage doesn’t stop there as there will be eight games carried via NBC Sports Live Extra as well:
- October 18 Michigan Tech – Notre Dame 7:30 p.m.
- November 9 Minnesota – Notre Dame 7 p.m.
- November 16 Merrimack – Notre Dame 7 p.m.
- November 29 Alabama Huntsville – Notre Dame 7:30 p.m.
- November 30 Shillelagh Tournament 7:30 p.m.
- January 11 Alabama Huntsville – Notre Dame 7 p.m.
- January 18 Lake Superior State – Notre Dame 7 p.m.
- February 22 Boston University – Notre Dame 7 p.m.
If you haven’t gotten to know coach Jeff Jackson’s Notre Dame squad before, you can get a crash course in that this season. The Fighting Irish are currently ranked eighth in the country in the USA Hockey/USA Today poll.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (118)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)