Oct 11, 2013, 8:57 AM EDT
With his team down 1-0 going into the final frame of Thursday’s game, Boston’s Milan Lucic was serving a misconduct penalty because of an altercation he had with Colorado Avalanche captain Gabriel Landeskog towards the end of the second period. That absence hurt the Bruins in their eventual 2-0 defeat.
The incident started as a minor scrum in front of the Avalanche goal. Milan Lucic was involved with another Avalanche player when Landeskog grabbed him from behind and was subsequently knocked down by Lucic. Things escalated from there, to the point where Lucic dropped his gloves, but Landeskog didn’t respond in kind.
“I bet you if I would have pushed [6-foot-6 Avalanche forward Patrick] Bordeleau at the end of it, I don’t get ten minutes … and if someone pushed me like that at the end of an altercation I would highly doubt that they would have got ten minutes,” Lucic said, courtesy of CSN New England.
It’s worth noting that Landeskog has a concussion history and Avalanche coach Patrick Roy liked the way Landeskog handled the situation.
“First of all, we don’t have anything to prove fighting with him. I don’t believe fighting is that important in our game,” said Roy. He added that he felt Landeskog was smart for avoiding a lengthy penalty.
You can view more of Lucic’s comments as well as Bruins coach Claude Julien’s below:
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 10
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 107
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (107)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)