Oct 11, 2013, 8:57 AM EDT
With his team down 1-0 going into the final frame of Thursday’s game, Boston’s Milan Lucic was serving a misconduct penalty because of an altercation he had with Colorado Avalanche captain Gabriel Landeskog towards the end of the second period. That absence hurt the Bruins in their eventual 2-0 defeat.
The incident started as a minor scrum in front of the Avalanche goal. Milan Lucic was involved with another Avalanche player when Landeskog grabbed him from behind and was subsequently knocked down by Lucic. Things escalated from there, to the point where Lucic dropped his gloves, but Landeskog didn’t respond in kind.
“I bet you if I would have pushed [6-foot-6 Avalanche forward Patrick] Bordeleau at the end of it, I don’t get ten minutes … and if someone pushed me like that at the end of an altercation I would highly doubt that they would have got ten minutes,” Lucic said, courtesy of CSN New England.
It’s worth noting that Landeskog has a concussion history and Avalanche coach Patrick Roy liked the way Landeskog handled the situation.
“First of all, we don’t have anything to prove fighting with him. I don’t believe fighting is that important in our game,” said Roy. He added that he felt Landeskog was smart for avoiding a lengthy penalty.
You can view more of Lucic’s comments as well as Bruins coach Claude Julien’s below:
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 55
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 3
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)