Oct 11, 2013, 8:57 AM EDT
With his team down 1-0 going into the final frame of Thursday’s game, Boston’s Milan Lucic was serving a misconduct penalty because of an altercation he had with Colorado Avalanche captain Gabriel Landeskog towards the end of the second period. That absence hurt the Bruins in their eventual 2-0 defeat.
The incident started as a minor scrum in front of the Avalanche goal. Milan Lucic was involved with another Avalanche player when Landeskog grabbed him from behind and was subsequently knocked down by Lucic. Things escalated from there, to the point where Lucic dropped his gloves, but Landeskog didn’t respond in kind.
“I bet you if I would have pushed [6-foot-6 Avalanche forward Patrick] Bordeleau at the end of it, I don’t get ten minutes … and if someone pushed me like that at the end of an altercation I would highly doubt that they would have got ten minutes,” Lucic said, courtesy of CSN New England.
It’s worth noting that Landeskog has a concussion history and Avalanche coach Patrick Roy liked the way Landeskog handled the situation.
“First of all, we don’t have anything to prove fighting with him. I don’t believe fighting is that important in our game,” said Roy. He added that he felt Landeskog was smart for avoiding a lengthy penalty.
You can view more of Lucic’s comments as well as Bruins coach Claude Julien’s below:
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 11
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 9
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 9
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 33
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 94
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 49
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)