Oct 11, 2013, 8:57 AM EST
With his team down 1-0 going into the final frame of Thursday’s game, Boston’s Milan Lucic was serving a misconduct penalty because of an altercation he had with Colorado Avalanche captain Gabriel Landeskog towards the end of the second period. That absence hurt the Bruins in their eventual 2-0 defeat.
The incident started as a minor scrum in front of the Avalanche goal. Milan Lucic was involved with another Avalanche player when Landeskog grabbed him from behind and was subsequently knocked down by Lucic. Things escalated from there, to the point where Lucic dropped his gloves, but Landeskog didn’t respond in kind.
“I bet you if I would have pushed [6-foot-6 Avalanche forward Patrick] Bordeleau at the end of it, I don’t get ten minutes … and if someone pushed me like that at the end of an altercation I would highly doubt that they would have got ten minutes,” Lucic said, courtesy of CSN New England.
It’s worth noting that Landeskog has a concussion history and Avalanche coach Patrick Roy liked the way Landeskog handled the situation.
“First of all, we don’t have anything to prove fighting with him. I don’t believe fighting is that important in our game,” said Roy. He added that he felt Landeskog was smart for avoiding a lengthy penalty.
You can view more of Lucic’s comments as well as Bruins coach Claude Julien’s below:
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 9
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)