Oct 11, 2013, 8:57 AM EST
With his team down 1-0 going into the final frame of Thursday’s game, Boston’s Milan Lucic was serving a misconduct penalty because of an altercation he had with Colorado Avalanche captain Gabriel Landeskog towards the end of the second period. That absence hurt the Bruins in their eventual 2-0 defeat.
The incident started as a minor scrum in front of the Avalanche goal. Milan Lucic was involved with another Avalanche player when Landeskog grabbed him from behind and was subsequently knocked down by Lucic. Things escalated from there, to the point where Lucic dropped his gloves, but Landeskog didn’t respond in kind.
“I bet you if I would have pushed [6-foot-6 Avalanche forward Patrick] Bordeleau at the end of it, I don’t get ten minutes … and if someone pushed me like that at the end of an altercation I would highly doubt that they would have got ten minutes,” Lucic said, courtesy of CSN New England.
It’s worth noting that Landeskog has a concussion history and Avalanche coach Patrick Roy liked the way Landeskog handled the situation.
“First of all, we don’t have anything to prove fighting with him. I don’t believe fighting is that important in our game,” said Roy. He added that he felt Landeskog was smart for avoiding a lengthy penalty.
You can view more of Lucic’s comments as well as Bruins coach Claude Julien’s below:
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 13
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 42
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 26
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 31
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 12
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)