Oct 11, 2013, 2:53 PM EST
Pittsburgh Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma remains mum about a timeline for defenseman Kris Letang‘s return from a lower-body injury, but the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that he continues to make progress.
Along with participating in an optional skate on Friday, the 26-year-old also engaged in some contact drills.
Still, Letang won’t be good to for Friday’s game against the Florida Panthers. Bylsma said he’s “progressing” but that today’s practice isn’t an “indication that he’s ready to go or not ready to go.”
The team will keep a close eye on his progress over the weekend, though.
“We’ll probably see how the next three days go, to see how he’s progressing,” Bylsma said. “Whether he’s doing well with that, or whether we’d have to taper his progression.”
The Penguins visit the Tampa Bay Lightning on Saturday after tonight’s game against the Panthers in Florida. After that, they host the Edmonton Oilers at home on Oct. 15, visit the Flyers in Philly on the 17th and then play three straight home games from Oct. 19-25.
Pittsburgh isn’t saying how close Letang truly is, yet that schedule seems pretty friendly to a return, especially after this Florida swing.
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 0
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 58
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 61
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 61
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 36
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 62
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 167
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (169)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) (65)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (63)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (62)