Oct 11, 2013, 2:53 PM EST
Pittsburgh Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma remains mum about a timeline for defenseman Kris Letang‘s return from a lower-body injury, but the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that he continues to make progress.
Along with participating in an optional skate on Friday, the 26-year-old also engaged in some contact drills.
Still, Letang won’t be good to for Friday’s game against the Florida Panthers. Bylsma said he’s “progressing” but that today’s practice isn’t an “indication that he’s ready to go or not ready to go.”
The team will keep a close eye on his progress over the weekend, though.
“We’ll probably see how the next three days go, to see how he’s progressing,” Bylsma said. “Whether he’s doing well with that, or whether we’d have to taper his progression.”
The Penguins visit the Tampa Bay Lightning on Saturday after tonight’s game against the Panthers in Florida. After that, they host the Edmonton Oilers at home on Oct. 15, visit the Flyers in Philly on the 17th and then play three straight home games from Oct. 19-25.
Pittsburgh isn’t saying how close Letang truly is, yet that schedule seems pretty friendly to a return, especially after this Florida swing.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 16
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 4
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 21
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory (53)