Oct 11, 2013, 2:53 PM EDT
Pittsburgh Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma remains mum about a timeline for defenseman Kris Letang‘s return from a lower-body injury, but the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that he continues to make progress.
Along with participating in an optional skate on Friday, the 26-year-old also engaged in some contact drills.
Still, Letang won’t be good to for Friday’s game against the Florida Panthers. Bylsma said he’s “progressing” but that today’s practice isn’t an “indication that he’s ready to go or not ready to go.”
The team will keep a close eye on his progress over the weekend, though.
“We’ll probably see how the next three days go, to see how he’s progressing,” Bylsma said. “Whether he’s doing well with that, or whether we’d have to taper his progression.”
The Penguins visit the Tampa Bay Lightning on Saturday after tonight’s game against the Panthers in Florida. After that, they host the Edmonton Oilers at home on Oct. 15, visit the Flyers in Philly on the 17th and then play three straight home games from Oct. 19-25.
Pittsburgh isn’t saying how close Letang truly is, yet that schedule seems pretty friendly to a return, especially after this Florida swing.
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)