Oct 11, 2013, 3:54 PM EST
Jonathan Bernier was brilliant again last night in Nashville, stopping all 36 Predators shots in a 4-0 Toronto win.
With the shutout, Bernier’s save percentage rose to a ridiculous .974, the highest among regular starters in the NHL. And while three starts and one relief appearance is a small sample size, Maple Leafs fans have to love what they’re seeing from the 25-year-old who was acquired this summer in a trade with Los Angeles.
Believe it or not, the Leafs were the only team that really seemed to want Bernier, according to Kings general manager Dean Lombardi.
“(Toronto GM) Dave Nonis was really the only one who was seriously interested in him,” Lombardi told ESPN.com. “Everyone else was just tire-kicking. I was shocked at the lack of real interest. He had proven himself again last season. The other reason I think people overlook Bernier is because he is small; they overlook his hockey sense which is his best asset.”
At the time, the move drew criticism from some who wondered why Nonis would choose to give up anything for Bernier when James Reimer was coming off a good season for the Leafs. But in hockey history, not many teams have been doomed by having too many quality goalies, and if Bernier establishes himself as the number one in Toronto, Nonis can always trade Reimer for something in return.
Speaking of teams that may be in the market for a goalie at some point, the Leafs host the Oilers on Saturday.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)