Oct 11, 2013, 8:12 PM EST
Philadelphia Flyers forward Scott Hartnell‘s knack for falling over and over again generated the #HartnellDown meme, but considering some tough breaks recently, the hashtag just seems sad. The team clarified that Hartnell suffered an upper-body injury, not a lower-body one as previously announced.
Injuries and inconsistent play plagued the 31-year-old winger’s 2013 season, as he was limited to 11 points and 70 PIM in 32 games. Those tough times hurt that much more because he came off the best year of his career in 2011-12, scoring 37 goals and 67 points in 82 games.
That slump has carried over into 2013-14, as Hartnell has gone pointless through five games (or four and change).
Even if Hartnell is playing poorly, this is another tough break for a team in turmoil, unless it opens the door for a young player to get some reps.
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 13
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 36
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 26
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 31
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 12
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)