Oct 11, 2013, 1:01 PM EDT
A bit of roster shuffling today in Washington, where the Capitals announced that defenseman John Erskine is day-to-day with a lower-body injury.
Erskine reportedly suffered the injury during the scramble prior to Nathan Gerbe‘s winner last night for Carolina. As you can see, he (No. 4) went down rather awkwardly, and stayed down for a moment after the goal was scored:
Getting the call from AHL Hershey is 22-year-old defenseman Nate Schmidt, while d-man Connor Carrick and forward Michael Latta have been sent down.
Washington signed Schmidt out of the University of Minnesota in April.
With just one win in their first four games, the Caps host undefeated Colorado tomorrow.
Schmidt is expected to make his NHL debut against the Avs.
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 24
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 14
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 27
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)