Oct 11, 2013, 4:51 PM EST
Things finally started to look up for Dustin Penner on Thursday, as he scored a goal and an assist while being lined up with Anaheim Ducks stars Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry. His tough luck continued, however, as he’s now day-to-day with a lower-body injury suffered during that blowout win against the New York Rangers, as Bruce Boudreau told the OC Register’s Eric Stephens.*
Penner, 31, is questionable for Sunday’s home contest versus the Ottawa Senators.
The big winger’s second tour with the Ducks hasn’t gone swimmingly. Boudreau described his training camp work as “mediocre” and made him a healthy scratch for the team’s first game of 2013-14.
Penner managed that goal and assist in just 8:26 of time last night, providing a tease at what the Ducks’ beefy trio could possibly produce if they’re together longer. (Brian Burke must have some mixed feelings in Calgary.)
As much of a punchline as Penner can be to some, it’s foolish to ignore his production, especially from his earlier Ducks and Oilers days. He scored 32 goals and 63 points with Edmonton in 2009-10 and has three additional 20+ goal seasons to his name. Despite the early headaches, he could still be a solid bargain for the Ducks at $2 million.
* – Note: Stephens updated the outlook as a lower-body issue, not upper.
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 13
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 19
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 1
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Montreal wins Vanek sweepstakes (Updated) 46
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)