Oct 11, 2013, 4:51 PM EDT
Things finally started to look up for Dustin Penner on Thursday, as he scored a goal and an assist while being lined up with Anaheim Ducks stars Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry. His tough luck continued, however, as he’s now day-to-day with a lower-body injury suffered during that blowout win against the New York Rangers, as Bruce Boudreau told the OC Register’s Eric Stephens.*
Penner, 31, is questionable for Sunday’s home contest versus the Ottawa Senators.
The big winger’s second tour with the Ducks hasn’t gone swimmingly. Boudreau described his training camp work as “mediocre” and made him a healthy scratch for the team’s first game of 2013-14.
Penner managed that goal and assist in just 8:26 of time last night, providing a tease at what the Ducks’ beefy trio could possibly produce if they’re together longer. (Brian Burke must have some mixed feelings in Calgary.)
As much of a punchline as Penner can be to some, it’s foolish to ignore his production, especially from his earlier Ducks and Oilers days. He scored 32 goals and 63 points with Edmonton in 2009-10 and has three additional 20+ goal seasons to his name. Despite the early headaches, he could still be a solid bargain for the Ducks at $2 million.
* – Note: Stephens updated the outlook as a lower-body issue, not upper.
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 1
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 47
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 6
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 39
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 98
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)