Oct 11, 2013, 4:51 PM EDT
Things finally started to look up for Dustin Penner on Thursday, as he scored a goal and an assist while being lined up with Anaheim Ducks stars Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry. His tough luck continued, however, as he’s now day-to-day with a lower-body injury suffered during that blowout win against the New York Rangers, as Bruce Boudreau told the OC Register’s Eric Stephens.*
Penner, 31, is questionable for Sunday’s home contest versus the Ottawa Senators.
The big winger’s second tour with the Ducks hasn’t gone swimmingly. Boudreau described his training camp work as “mediocre” and made him a healthy scratch for the team’s first game of 2013-14.
Penner managed that goal and assist in just 8:26 of time last night, providing a tease at what the Ducks’ beefy trio could possibly produce if they’re together longer. (Brian Burke must have some mixed feelings in Calgary.)
As much of a punchline as Penner can be to some, it’s foolish to ignore his production, especially from his earlier Ducks and Oilers days. He scored 32 goals and 63 points with Edmonton in 2009-10 and has three additional 20+ goal seasons to his name. Despite the early headaches, he could still be a solid bargain for the Ducks at $2 million.
* – Note: Stephens updated the outlook as a lower-body issue, not upper.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 14
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 12
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 28
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 43
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)