Oct 11, 2013, 7:30 PM EDT
It’s already rare given they’re stationed in different conferences, but it’s a father versus son match-up right now between the L.A. Kings and Carolina Hurricanes.
On the Kings bench is head coach Darryl Sutter, while on the ice for the Hurricanes is his 26-year-old son, Brett Sutter.
“I wish we had some time off so I could see him,” Darryl Sutter said, as per the L.A. Times.
“It’s not a big deal coaching against him. We’ve been in locker rooms our whole lives. The only time I’ve coached him, the only time I’ve been on the ice with him is in novice hockey.
“He grew up in the dressing room. He knows what’s going on.”
The son Sutter is originally a draft pick of the Calgary Flames, but is now a member of the Hurricanes organization.
He’s spent the majority of his career in the American Hockey League, but has appeared in all five of Carolina’s games early on in this season.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 1
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 15
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 18
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)