Oct 11, 2013, 7:30 PM EDT
It’s already rare given they’re stationed in different conferences, but it’s a father versus son match-up right now between the L.A. Kings and Carolina Hurricanes.
On the Kings bench is head coach Darryl Sutter, while on the ice for the Hurricanes is his 26-year-old son, Brett Sutter.
“I wish we had some time off so I could see him,” Darryl Sutter said, as per the L.A. Times.
“It’s not a big deal coaching against him. We’ve been in locker rooms our whole lives. The only time I’ve coached him, the only time I’ve been on the ice with him is in novice hockey.
“He grew up in the dressing room. He knows what’s going on.”
The son Sutter is originally a draft pick of the Calgary Flames, but is now a member of the Hurricanes organization.
He’s spent the majority of his career in the American Hockey League, but has appeared in all five of Carolina’s games early on in this season.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)