Oct 11, 2013, 7:30 PM EDT
It’s already rare given they’re stationed in different conferences, but it’s a father versus son match-up right now between the L.A. Kings and Carolina Hurricanes.
On the Kings bench is head coach Darryl Sutter, while on the ice for the Hurricanes is his 26-year-old son, Brett Sutter.
“I wish we had some time off so I could see him,” Darryl Sutter said, as per the L.A. Times.
“It’s not a big deal coaching against him. We’ve been in locker rooms our whole lives. The only time I’ve coached him, the only time I’ve been on the ice with him is in novice hockey.
“He grew up in the dressing room. He knows what’s going on.”
The son Sutter is originally a draft pick of the Calgary Flames, but is now a member of the Hurricanes organization.
He’s spent the majority of his career in the American Hockey League, but has appeared in all five of Carolina’s games early on in this season.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)