Oct 11, 2013, 1:07 AM EDT
At least the New York Rangers didn’t allow a goal in the third period of their 6-0 loss to the Anaheim Ducks. When you get outscored 15-2 in just two games, you have to take your victories wherever you can get them.
Rangers goaltender Henrik Lundqvist wasn’t yanked from this game like he was against the San Jose Sharks on Tuesday, but the normally superb goaltender’s struggles continued. Not that the Rangers’ woes can be pinned on him.
On a more positive note, the Anaheim Ducks’ 20th home opener was certainly one to remember. Jonas Hiller earned a 34-save shutout and sophomore Jakob Silfverberg scored twice to give him four goals in as many games this season.
Dustin Penner also scored his first goal with the Anaheim Ducks since he left them following the 2006-07 campaign. Unfortunately, Penner ended up suffering a lower-body injury and the Ducks also lost forward Mathieu Perreault (upper body), according to the team’s website.
The Rangers will get a day off before they have to face the St. Louis Blues. Anaheim will host the Ottawa Senators on Sunday.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 20
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 47
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)