Oct 11, 2013, 1:07 AM EDT
At least the New York Rangers didn’t allow a goal in the third period of their 6-0 loss to the Anaheim Ducks. When you get outscored 15-2 in just two games, you have to take your victories wherever you can get them.
Rangers goaltender Henrik Lundqvist wasn’t yanked from this game like he was against the San Jose Sharks on Tuesday, but the normally superb goaltender’s struggles continued. Not that the Rangers’ woes can be pinned on him.
On a more positive note, the Anaheim Ducks’ 20th home opener was certainly one to remember. Jonas Hiller earned a 34-save shutout and sophomore Jakob Silfverberg scored twice to give him four goals in as many games this season.
Dustin Penner also scored his first goal with the Anaheim Ducks since he left them following the 2006-07 campaign. Unfortunately, Penner ended up suffering a lower-body injury and the Ducks also lost forward Mathieu Perreault (upper body), according to the team’s website.
The Rangers will get a day off before they have to face the St. Louis Blues. Anaheim will host the Ottawa Senators on Sunday.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)