Oct 11, 2013, 1:07 AM EST
At least the New York Rangers didn’t allow a goal in the third period of their 6-0 loss to the Anaheim Ducks. When you get outscored 15-2 in just two games, you have to take your victories wherever you can get them.
Rangers goaltender Henrik Lundqvist wasn’t yanked from this game like he was against the San Jose Sharks on Tuesday, but the normally superb goaltender’s struggles continued. Not that the Rangers’ woes can be pinned on him.
On a more positive note, the Anaheim Ducks’ 20th home opener was certainly one to remember. Jonas Hiller earned a 34-save shutout and sophomore Jakob Silfverberg scored twice to give him four goals in as many games this season.
Dustin Penner also scored his first goal with the Anaheim Ducks since he left them following the 2006-07 campaign. Unfortunately, Penner ended up suffering a lower-body injury and the Ducks also lost forward Mathieu Perreault (upper body), according to the team’s website.
The Rangers will get a day off before they have to face the St. Louis Blues. Anaheim will host the Ottawa Senators on Sunday.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (56)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)