Oct 11, 2013, 5:37 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets demoted defenseman Tim Erixon to the AHL on Friday, calling up forward Ryan Craig in the process. Team Web site reporter Rob Mixer believes that Craig was recalled in part because Matt Calvert might be injured.
Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen told PHT’s Joe Yerdon that Erixon, 22, wasn’t convincing management that he was worthy of playing time by his work ethic in practice.
“If you’re not playing, you have to treat practice like your game,” Kekalainen said.
Kekalainen spun it a little differently to the Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline, telling him that Erixon “needs to play games.”
Erixon has 49 games of NHL action under his belt so far, including 31 with Columbus last season, so the Blue Jackets are likely hoping that this sends a message to the 2009 first-rounder (23rd overall).
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 23
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 40
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 29
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 26
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 24
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 58
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 49
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6