Oct 11, 2013, 5:37 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets demoted defenseman Tim Erixon to the AHL on Friday, calling up forward Ryan Craig in the process. Team Web site reporter Rob Mixer believes that Craig was recalled in part because Matt Calvert might be injured.
Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen told PHT’s Joe Yerdon that Erixon, 22, wasn’t convincing management that he was worthy of playing time by his work ethic in practice.
“If you’re not playing, you have to treat practice like your game,” Kekalainen said.
Kekalainen spun it a little differently to the Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline, telling him that Erixon “needs to play games.”
Erixon has 49 games of NHL action under his belt so far, including 31 with Columbus last season, so the Blue Jackets are likely hoping that this sends a message to the 2009 first-rounder (23rd overall).
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 22
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 5
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 10
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)