Oct 10, 2013, 9:00 PM EST
The New Jersey Devils have never gone more than five games before collecting their first win of an NHL season. That streak will be on the line Friday when they face the Calgary Flames.
That being said, New Jersey hasn’t been disastrous. They’ve had trouble holding a lead, but they’ve stayed in games and pushed their last three defeats beyond the 60-minute mark. Going into tonight’s action, those three points have put them in the middle of the Metropolitan standings despite the fact that they’re the only winless team in that division.
With that in mind, New Jersey Devils coach Pete DeBoer feels that they’re close to turning things around, but he thinks their inability to stave off comeback attempts highlights their identity problems.
“We’re still getting that foundation in place,” DeBoer said, according to the Bergen Record.
The Devils aren’t young, but they do have a lot of players new to the organization. They went out and signed forwards like Jaromir Jagr and Ryane Clowe as a result of losing Ilya Kovalchuk and David Clarkson. New Jersey has lost three of their top five points leaders from 2011-12.
If they can’t beat the Flames, then their next opportunity to turn things around will be on Sunday in Winnipeg.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)