Oct 10, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils have never gone more than five games before collecting their first win of an NHL season. That streak will be on the line Friday when they face the Calgary Flames.
That being said, New Jersey hasn’t been disastrous. They’ve had trouble holding a lead, but they’ve stayed in games and pushed their last three defeats beyond the 60-minute mark. Going into tonight’s action, those three points have put them in the middle of the Metropolitan standings despite the fact that they’re the only winless team in that division.
With that in mind, New Jersey Devils coach Pete DeBoer feels that they’re close to turning things around, but he thinks their inability to stave off comeback attempts highlights their identity problems.
“We’re still getting that foundation in place,” DeBoer said, according to the Bergen Record.
The Devils aren’t young, but they do have a lot of players new to the organization. They went out and signed forwards like Jaromir Jagr and Ryane Clowe as a result of losing Ilya Kovalchuk and David Clarkson. New Jersey has lost three of their top five points leaders from 2011-12.
If they can’t beat the Flames, then their next opportunity to turn things around will be on Sunday in Winnipeg.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (38)