Oct 10, 2013, 9:00 PM EST
The New Jersey Devils have never gone more than five games before collecting their first win of an NHL season. That streak will be on the line Friday when they face the Calgary Flames.
That being said, New Jersey hasn’t been disastrous. They’ve had trouble holding a lead, but they’ve stayed in games and pushed their last three defeats beyond the 60-minute mark. Going into tonight’s action, those three points have put them in the middle of the Metropolitan standings despite the fact that they’re the only winless team in that division.
With that in mind, New Jersey Devils coach Pete DeBoer feels that they’re close to turning things around, but he thinks their inability to stave off comeback attempts highlights their identity problems.
“We’re still getting that foundation in place,” DeBoer said, according to the Bergen Record.
The Devils aren’t young, but they do have a lot of players new to the organization. They went out and signed forwards like Jaromir Jagr and Ryane Clowe as a result of losing Ilya Kovalchuk and David Clarkson. New Jersey has lost three of their top five points leaders from 2011-12.
If they can’t beat the Flames, then their next opportunity to turn things around will be on Sunday in Winnipeg.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)