Oct 10, 2013, 11:26 PM EST
The Minnesota Wild earned a postseason berth in 2013, but for a franchise on an upswing, that campaign was regarded as just a stepping stone to bigger and better things. They got off to a 0-1-2 start this season, but are back on the right track with a 2-1 win versus the Winnipeg Jets.
Minnesota hasn’t lost a game by more than a goal so far this season, but if there was just one obvious difference tonight it would be their success on the draw. The Wild announced that they set a franchise record by winning 73.8% of their faceoffs. Captain Mikko Koivu led the way by winning 14 of his 19 draws.
Minnesota Wild coach Mike Yeo was also quick to praise youngsters Mikael Granlund and Mathew Dumba for their efforts. Given that the Wild’s depth is an area of concern, they need some of their less experienced players to step up and make significant contributions.
Their role players also stepped up, with Matt Cooke scoring the game-winning goal and registering an assist.
The Wild will look for a similar team effort against the Dallas Stars on Saturday.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 9
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)