Oct 10, 2013, 7:55 PM EDT
If Tomas Hertl‘s fourth goal on Tuesday is a very early contender for the best of the season, then Buffalo Sabres forward Thomas Vanek‘s goal against the Columbus Blue Jackets tonight deserves to be up there too.
With his team down 1-0 midway through the first period, Steve Ott fed the puck to Vanek, who shot the puck between his legs to beat goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky. You can see the goal for yourself below:
While the goal isn’t identical to Hertl, it’s worth noting that the 19-year-old rookie drew some criticism for his actions.
Washington Capitals head coach Adam Oates in particular was a vocal opponent, suggesting that the move was disrespectful and a “rookie mistake.” Thomas Vanek is 29 years old and, as NHL.com and PHT’s Joe Yerdon pointed out, he attempted the manuever a second time.
- Report: Wild’s Harding likely out months, not weeks 0
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 9
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 38
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 17
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 7
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 59
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (60)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (46)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)