Oct 10, 2013, 7:55 PM EDT
If Tomas Hertl‘s fourth goal on Tuesday is a very early contender for the best of the season, then Buffalo Sabres forward Thomas Vanek‘s goal against the Columbus Blue Jackets tonight deserves to be up there too.
With his team down 1-0 midway through the first period, Steve Ott fed the puck to Vanek, who shot the puck between his legs to beat goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky. You can see the goal for yourself below:
While the goal isn’t identical to Hertl, it’s worth noting that the 19-year-old rookie drew some criticism for his actions.
Washington Capitals head coach Adam Oates in particular was a vocal opponent, suggesting that the move was disrespectful and a “rookie mistake.” Thomas Vanek is 29 years old and, as NHL.com and PHT’s Joe Yerdon pointed out, he attempted the manuever a second time.
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 4
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 36
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 21
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: Backes crashes into Daley, falls to ice hard (Updated) 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)