Oct 10, 2013, 7:55 PM EDT
If Tomas Hertl‘s fourth goal on Tuesday is a very early contender for the best of the season, then Buffalo Sabres forward Thomas Vanek‘s goal against the Columbus Blue Jackets tonight deserves to be up there too.
With his team down 1-0 midway through the first period, Steve Ott fed the puck to Vanek, who shot the puck between his legs to beat goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky. You can see the goal for yourself below:
While the goal isn’t identical to Hertl, it’s worth noting that the 19-year-old rookie drew some criticism for his actions.
Washington Capitals head coach Adam Oates in particular was a vocal opponent, suggesting that the move was disrespectful and a “rookie mistake.” Thomas Vanek is 29 years old and, as NHL.com and PHT’s Joe Yerdon pointed out, he attempted the manuever a second time.
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 51
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 51
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 54
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Panthers re-sign Kulikov: three years, $13 million 6
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him 77
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M 58
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)