Oct 10, 2013, 11:37 AM EDT
One of the most dangerous goal-scorers in the game, Steven Stamkos has only been average when it comes to taking faceoffs.
In 2013, the Lightning’s 23-year-old sniper won just under half the 819 draws he took, finishing with a win rate of 49.6 percent. And after three games of the 2013-14 season, his win rate is a woeful 33.3 percent.
So he’s working on it.
“The most important thing is to talk about it,” Filppula said. “There are a lot of ways to take faceoffs, so it’s tough to say one or two things you do. You need a little luck, too.”
Stamkos’ desire for improvement extends beyond the faceoff dot. By his comments, it’s clear he wants to be known as more than an offensive specialist.
“It’s the (penalty kill) and being out there when you’re up a goal late in the game, not being a liability defensively, playing solid at both ends of the rink,” Stamkos said. “That’s the player I want to be.”
Apr 18, 2015, 1:36 AM EDT
Another rough go for Crow.
Apr 18, 2015, 1:15 AM EDT
Crazy finish at Rogers Arena.
Apr 18, 2015, 12:59 AM EDT
Series now even at one.
Apr 18, 2015, 12:31 AM EDT
Talk about taking the game out of the officials’ hands.
Apr 17, 2015, 11:34 PM EDT
In Las Vegas.
Apr 17, 2015, 11:21 PM EDT
All the breaks seem to be going Chicago’s way.
Apr 17, 2015, 11:19 PM EDT
Second key player Nashville’s lost in as many games.
Apr 17, 2015, 10:52 PM EDT
Not a great start to the playoffs for Corey Crawford.
Apr 17, 2015, 10:46 PM EDT
Johnny Boychuk admits Isles let one slip away.
Apr 17, 2015, 10:12 PM EDT
Ottawa will need magic at home.
Apr 17, 2015, 9:53 PM EDT
Quite a comeback win for Washington.
Apr 17, 2015, 9:25 PM EDT
He blew the Islanders’ minds on this one.
Apr 17, 2015, 8:37 PM EDT
Updated with P.K. Subban’s booming goal.
Apr 17, 2015, 8:02 PM EDT
Awesome countered by awesomeness.
Apr 17, 2015, 7:02 PM EDT
He seemed tentative in warm-ups …
Apr 17, 2015, 6:39 PM EDT
Apr 17, 2015, 6:28 PM EDT
No pressure, kid.
Apr 17, 2015, 5:55 PM EDT
Game 2’s galore.
Apr 17, 2015, 5:07 PM EDT
“It seems when we lose a game everyone’s really focused to get back on the winning track.”
Apr 17, 2015, 4:05 PM EDT
Mike Fisher looks like he’s unable to go.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 4
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 18
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 44
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 46
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38