Oct 10, 2013, 11:37 AM EDT
One of the most dangerous goal-scorers in the game, Steven Stamkos has only been average when it comes to taking faceoffs.
In 2013, the Lightning’s 23-year-old sniper won just under half the 819 draws he took, finishing with a win rate of 49.6 percent. And after three games of the 2013-14 season, his win rate is a woeful 33.3 percent.
So he’s working on it.
“The most important thing is to talk about it,” Filppula said. “There are a lot of ways to take faceoffs, so it’s tough to say one or two things you do. You need a little luck, too.”
Stamkos’ desire for improvement extends beyond the faceoff dot. By his comments, it’s clear he wants to be known as more than an offensive specialist.
“It’s the (penalty kill) and being out there when you’re up a goal late in the game, not being a liability defensively, playing solid at both ends of the rink,” Stamkos said. “That’s the player I want to be.”
Sep 16, 2014, 10:59 AM EDT
Will the NHL be watching?
Sep 16, 2014, 10:13 AM EDT
Sounds like he got the message.
Sep 16, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
The recently signed forward hopes to stick with “powerhouse” team.
Sep 16, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Sep 16, 2014, 12:45 AM EDT
“It’s turned the corner for the better as far as rehab has gone.”
Sep 15, 2014, 11:45 PM EDT
It’s tremendous even if it was in a prospects game.
Sep 15, 2014, 11:12 PM EDT
Frank Corrado gets ejected for that check.
Sep 15, 2014, 9:49 PM EDT
The team says he has “full movement” following a boarding hit.
Sep 15, 2014, 9:05 PM EDT
Some optimism about how his knee is feeling.
Sep 15, 2014, 8:01 PM EDT
Sep 15, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
More training camp invites.
Sep 15, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
He’s reportedly talking to several teams.
Sep 15, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
“I still think something will get done before camp.”
Sep 15, 2014, 4:10 PM EDT
Potentially adding some depth.
Sep 15, 2014, 2:52 PM EDT
Former Kings, Flames netminder lands in an interesting spot.
Sep 15, 2014, 1:37 PM EDT
Veteran guy, but not the righty Mike Babcock was looking for…
Sep 15, 2014, 1:04 PM EDT
Because it hasn’t yet decided if it will.
Sep 15, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT
Also includes a similar series dedicated to the Sharks-Kings outdoor game.
Sep 15, 2014, 11:44 AM EDT
That’s businessman, and former Harvard hockey player, Phil Falcone.
Sep 15, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
Medvescak Zagreb, which now has a boatload of ex-NHLers.
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 20
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 16
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 46
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 22
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39