Oct 10, 2013, 6:02 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks are unhappy that an off-color comment made today in Vancouver by captain Joe Thornton was published on the website of The Province newspaper.
Speaking to the San Jose Mercury News, Sharks director of media relations Scott Emmert called The Province’s use of the quote “a pathetic attempt to generate some page hits and controversy by reporting an off-the-cuff and off-the-record comment made by someone who wasn’t even being interviewed at the time.”
But Province reporter Jason Botchford denies the quote was off the record, writing on Twitter: “Joe cut off a question in a scrum. He yelled to cut it off. He was putting on a show. This wasn’t a joke in a corner.”
Anyway, the whole thing has set off quite the journalistic debate. Should Thornton have clarified that what he said was off the record if he didn’t want it published? Or, should it have been understood that it was off the record, if only because quotes like that very rarely end up in mainstream publications?
See what you’ve started, Tomas Hertl? This is what happens when 19-year-old rookies score four goals in a single game.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)