Oct 10, 2013, 6:02 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks are unhappy that an off-color comment made today in Vancouver by captain Joe Thornton was published on the website of The Province newspaper.
Speaking to the San Jose Mercury News, Sharks director of media relations Scott Emmert called The Province’s use of the quote “a pathetic attempt to generate some page hits and controversy by reporting an off-the-cuff and off-the-record comment made by someone who wasn’t even being interviewed at the time.”
But Province reporter Jason Botchford denies the quote was off the record, writing on Twitter: “Joe cut off a question in a scrum. He yelled to cut it off. He was putting on a show. This wasn’t a joke in a corner.”
Anyway, the whole thing has set off quite the journalistic debate. Should Thornton have clarified that what he said was off the record if he didn’t want it published? Or, should it have been understood that it was off the record, if only because quotes like that very rarely end up in mainstream publications?
See what you’ve started, Tomas Hertl? This is what happens when 19-year-old rookies score four goals in a single game.
- ‘We’re going into the cage,’ says Kings’ coach Sutter about Game 5 0
- Kings stave off elimination, force Game 5 against Sharks 21
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 53
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 42
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)