Oct 10, 2013, 9:48 PM EST
The Buffalo Sabres have been miserable this season and that’s been highlighted by their near total inability to find the back of the net. They suffered a 4-1 loss to the Columbus Blue Jackets tonight and are now off to a 0-4-1 start.
Going into the 2013-14 campaign, the Sabres looked like a team in transition and it’s entirely possible that Vanek and goaltender Ryan Miller will be traded before the end of the season, but even by those standards, this start is tough for Buffalo fans to swallow. Towards the end of the game, those in attendance at First Niagara Center started to chant for the firing of long-time GM Darcy Regier, according to the Buffalo News’ John Vogl.
Unfortunately, things don’t get any easier for Buffalo from here as its next contest is against the defending Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks. Meanwhile, the Columbus Blue Jackets are now 2-1-0 going into Saturday’s match versus the Boston Bruins.
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 21
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 36
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 58
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 33
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 56
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 165
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (165)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (61)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)