Oct 10, 2013, 6:15 PM EDT
Columbus Blue Jackets forward Boone Jenner has plenty of promise, but the 20-year-old is still going through some growing pains.
He entered the season on the top line with with Brandon Dubinsky and Marian Gaborik, but that didn’t last long and with Jared Boll set to return tonight from a lower-body injury, Jenner will be the odd man out.
To his credit, he seems to be taking the news very well.
“I think I played hard in both games and it was good to get the feet wet in the regular season,” Jenner told the Columbus Dispatch. “It was a good experience. But I’ll look forward to watching the team tonight (from the press box) and cheering them on.”
Jenner is trying to make the difficult transition from major junior hockey to the NHL with very little AHL seasoning in between. He was able to impress Blue Jackets coach Todd Richards during the preseason, which led him to get a brief shot on the first line in the first place, but by Jenner’s own admission, there’s a difference between exhibition games and the regular season.
Columbus is scheduled to play against the Buffalo Sabres at 7:00 p.m. ET.
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- The King is back: Lundqvist starts for Rangers Saturday 3
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 16
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 58
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)