Oct 10, 2013, 6:15 PM EST
Columbus Blue Jackets forward Boone Jenner has plenty of promise, but the 20-year-old is still going through some growing pains.
He entered the season on the top line with with Brandon Dubinsky and Marian Gaborik, but that didn’t last long and with Jared Boll set to return tonight from a lower-body injury, Jenner will be the odd man out.
To his credit, he seems to be taking the news very well.
“I think I played hard in both games and it was good to get the feet wet in the regular season,” Jenner told the Columbus Dispatch. “It was a good experience. But I’ll look forward to watching the team tonight (from the press box) and cheering them on.”
Jenner is trying to make the difficult transition from major junior hockey to the NHL with very little AHL seasoning in between. He was able to impress Blue Jackets coach Todd Richards during the preseason, which led him to get a brief shot on the first line in the first place, but by Jenner’s own admission, there’s a difference between exhibition games and the regular season.
Columbus is scheduled to play against the Buffalo Sabres at 7:00 p.m. ET.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 51
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (51)