Oct 10, 2013, 11:10 AM EDT
The Penguins have won all three of their home games to start the season, but that doesn’t mean all is well at the Consol Energy Center.
Three players, speaking on the condition of anonymity, told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette the ice conditions at CEC are poor, and have been since the arena opened in 2010.
One player — “Player B” — told the Gazette conditions in the first two games of the year, a 3-0 win over New Jersey and 4-1 over Buffalo, were “some of the worst I’ve seen.”
“We joke around here that it shouldn’t be hard, because when we skate at Southpointe [practice facility] and skate at town rinks that have zero budget and don’t have the tools and technology that they have [at Consol Energy Center], and they all have great ice,” Player B explained. “If they can do it, there’s no excuse to not have it here.”
Despite less than stellar reviews from Pens players, CEC doesn’t appear to have the same reputation league-wide.
In the CBC/NHLPA 2011-12 player’s poll, Consol wasn’t named as one of the five worst arenas with regards to playing surface. The Tampa Bay Times Forum and Honda Center in Anaheim were voted to have the poorest ice, with Staples Center in L.A., Madison Square Garden in New York and the American Airlines Center in Dallas rounding out the top five.
(The top five, in case you’re curious: Bell Center in Montreal, Joe Louis in Detroit, Rogers Arena in Vancouver, MTS Centre in Winnipeg and the Saddledome in Calgary.)
Despite Consol not being up to snuff by the home team’s standards, at least one Pens player thinks it will get better.
“I think they’ll figure it out,” Player C said. “They’re very committed to making sure that they do everything they can to give us the best ice conditions.
“I think it’s just a matter of time.”
Jul 11, 2014, 11:23 PM EDT
Two former first-round draft picks.
Jul 11, 2014, 10:05 PM EDT
He didn’t play professional hockey in 2013-14.
Jul 11, 2014, 9:01 PM EDT
Jason Spezza’s departure likely makes him Ottawa’s No. 1 pivot.
Jul 11, 2014, 8:04 PM EDT
Will their optimism be justified?
Jul 11, 2014, 6:40 PM EDT
He seemed bound for Switzerland on Thursday.
Jul 11, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
They acquired him from Montreal this summer.
Jul 11, 2014, 3:59 PM EDT
Another interesting young forward in Tampa Bay.
Jul 11, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
“Evander’s a Winnipeg Jet and that’s how we’re moving forward.”
Jul 11, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT
What could the Blackhawks’ defense look like without him?
Jul 11, 2014, 12:53 PM EDT
Pressure’s on for Randy Carlyle.
Jul 11, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
“We’re not going to finish last to try and draft people first or second.”
Jul 11, 2014, 11:27 AM EDT
Drafted 22nd overall.
Jul 11, 2014, 10:24 AM EDT
Played for Steve Yzerman during the 2010 Olympics.
Jul 11, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT
“There was no room for negotiation.”
Jul 11, 2014, 9:29 AM EDT
Six-year extension for the 28-year-old center.
Jul 11, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Not that there was much left anyways.
Jul 11, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Jul 10, 2014, 10:59 PM EDT
Two depth moves for San Jose.
Jul 10, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
They also gave Rinat Valiev an entry-level contract.
Jul 10, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT
He was a hockey operations advisor for two years after ending his playing career.
- Lightning sign Brenden Morrow for one year 23
- Jackets sign Dubinsky through 2020-21 38
- AHL’s new overtime rules include 3-on-3 play 27
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 64
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 15
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 35
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 62
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 170
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 57
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery 59
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (170)
- Pros and cons of Subban filing for arbitration (67)
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration (64)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (62)