Oct 10, 2013, 11:10 AM EDT
The Penguins have won all three of their home games to start the season, but that doesn’t mean all is well at the Consol Energy Center.
Three players, speaking on the condition of anonymity, told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette the ice conditions at CEC are poor, and have been since the arena opened in 2010.
One player — “Player B” — told the Gazette conditions in the first two games of the year, a 3-0 win over New Jersey and 4-1 over Buffalo, were “some of the worst I’ve seen.”
“We joke around here that it shouldn’t be hard, because when we skate at Southpointe [practice facility] and skate at town rinks that have zero budget and don’t have the tools and technology that they have [at Consol Energy Center], and they all have great ice,” Player B explained. “If they can do it, there’s no excuse to not have it here.”
Despite less than stellar reviews from Pens players, CEC doesn’t appear to have the same reputation league-wide.
In the CBC/NHLPA 2011-12 player’s poll, Consol wasn’t named as one of the five worst arenas with regards to playing surface. The Tampa Bay Times Forum and Honda Center in Anaheim were voted to have the poorest ice, with Staples Center in L.A., Madison Square Garden in New York and the American Airlines Center in Dallas rounding out the top five.
(The top five, in case you’re curious: Bell Center in Montreal, Joe Louis in Detroit, Rogers Arena in Vancouver, MTS Centre in Winnipeg and the Saddledome in Calgary.)
Despite Consol not being up to snuff by the home team’s standards, at least one Pens player thinks it will get better.
“I think they’ll figure it out,” Player C said. “They’re very committed to making sure that they do everything they can to give us the best ice conditions.
“I think it’s just a matter of time.”
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 14
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 8
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 9
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 17
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 22
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)