Oct 10, 2013, 11:10 AM EDT
The Penguins have won all three of their home games to start the season, but that doesn’t mean all is well at the Consol Energy Center.
Three players, speaking on the condition of anonymity, told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette the ice conditions at CEC are poor, and have been since the arena opened in 2010.
One player — “Player B” — told the Gazette conditions in the first two games of the year, a 3-0 win over New Jersey and 4-1 over Buffalo, were “some of the worst I’ve seen.”
“We joke around here that it shouldn’t be hard, because when we skate at Southpointe [practice facility] and skate at town rinks that have zero budget and don’t have the tools and technology that they have [at Consol Energy Center], and they all have great ice,” Player B explained. “If they can do it, there’s no excuse to not have it here.”
Despite less than stellar reviews from Pens players, CEC doesn’t appear to have the same reputation league-wide.
In the CBC/NHLPA 2011-12 player’s poll, Consol wasn’t named as one of the five worst arenas with regards to playing surface. The Tampa Bay Times Forum and Honda Center in Anaheim were voted to have the poorest ice, with Staples Center in L.A., Madison Square Garden in New York and the American Airlines Center in Dallas rounding out the top five.
(The top five, in case you’re curious: Bell Center in Montreal, Joe Louis in Detroit, Rogers Arena in Vancouver, MTS Centre in Winnipeg and the Saddledome in Calgary.)
Despite Consol not being up to snuff by the home team’s standards, at least one Pens player thinks it will get better.
“I think they’ll figure it out,” Player C said. “They’re very committed to making sure that they do everything they can to give us the best ice conditions.
“I think it’s just a matter of time.”
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 6
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 21
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 22
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)