Oct 10, 2013, 1:21 PM EDT
Washington Capitals head coach Adam Oates was none too pleased with Tomas Hertl‘s between-the-legs goal in San Jose’s 9-2 rout of the Rangers on Tuesday.
Oates, who said he was “upset” by the goal, said Sharks head coach Todd McLellan was smart to bench Hertl for the final 7:55 of the game, suggesting the 20-year-old rookie might’ve been in line for retribution.
“I’m glad the coach did that because this league, it will bite you if you’re not sharp. Don’t disrespect the league. I’m sure it was a rookie mistake,” Oates told CSN Washington’s Chuck Gormley. “Great move, don’t get me wrong — it’s a shootout move or something, and it’s great. I’m glad the way San Jose treated it.
“As long as he doesn’t disrespect the league. The league’s hard.”
Oates, 51, has some decidedly old-school views on hockey and he’s not afraid to share them.
In May, he ignited a feud between himself and ex-Rangers head coach John Tortorella by saying he’d “easily” beat up Torts in a fight.
In February, he said he didn’t think NHLers belonged in the Olympics, saying “I grew up trying to play for the Toronto Maple Leafs, not Team Canada.”
(Head-scratching comments given his captain, Alex Ovechkin, can’t wait to suit up for Russia in Sochi next year.)
And, unsurprisingly, Oates doesn’t like the shootout either.
Oates said last month that he didn’t like the shootout: “I’m old school.”
“I come from [a time] where if my dad brings me to a game and at the end of the game it’s a 2-1 game and our team ties it up with 30 seconds left and the place is going crazy, isn’t that exciting?” Oates said. “I’m good with that. And all of a sudden you settle it with a home run derby?
“It’s like soccer. How do you play 90 minutes, two extra times and all of a sudden you go to penalty kicks? And I guess that matters too; they’re going to say that’s part of the game.”
Here (again) is the Hertl goal which, it should be mentioned, is still featured on the website of the league he may or may not be disrespecting:
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 0
- WATCH LIVE: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins 1
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 13
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 53
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (67)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)