Oates ‘upset’ by Hertl goal: ‘Don’t disrespect the league’

Oct 10, 2013, 1:21 PM EDT

Adam Oates AP

Washington Capitals head coach Adam Oates was none too pleased with Tomas Hertl‘s between-the-legs goal in San Jose’s 9-2 rout of the Rangers on Tuesday.

Oates, who said he was “upset” by the goal, said Sharks head coach Todd McLellan was smart to bench Hertl for the final 7:55 of the game, suggesting the 20-year-old rookie might’ve been in line for retribution.

“I’m glad the coach did that because this league, it will bite you if you’re not sharp. Don’t disrespect the league. I’m sure it was a rookie mistake,” Oates told CSN Washington’s Chuck Gormley. “Great move, don’t get me wrong — it’s a shootout move or something, and it’s great. I’m glad the way San Jose treated it.

“As long as he doesn’t disrespect the league. The league’s hard.”

Oates, 51, has some decidedly old-school views on hockey and he’s not afraid to share them.

In May, he ignited a feud between himself and ex-Rangers head coach John Tortorella by saying he’d “easily” beat up Torts in a fight.

In February, he said he didn’t think NHLers belonged in the Olympics, saying “I grew up trying to play for the Toronto Maple Leafs, not Team Canada.”

(Head-scratching comments given his captain, Alex Ovechkin, can’t wait to suit up for Russia in Sochi next year.)

And, unsurprisingly, Oates doesn’t like the shootout either.

From a March 2013 column in the Washington Times:

Oates said last month that he didn’t like the shootout: “I’m old school.”

“I come from [a time] where if my dad brings me to a game and at the end of the game it’s a 2-1 game and our team ties it up with 30 seconds left and the place is going crazy, isn’t that exciting?” Oates said. “I’m good with that. And all of a sudden you settle it with a home run derby?

“It’s like soccer. How do you play 90 minutes, two extra times and all of a sudden you go to penalty kicks? And I guess that matters too; they’re going to say that’s part of the game.”

Here (again) is the Hertl goal which, it should be mentioned, is still featured on the website of the league he may or may not be disrespecting:

1. ibieiniid - Oct 10, 2013 at 1:29 PM

does retribution for showy goals still happen? I think the players know the league has evolved to be a bit more flashy than it was in the 70s and 80 (i know that’s not when Oates played). I can’t remember seeing anybody take a run at a guy who just pulled off a nasty move in the past 5 years.

• ibieiniid - Oct 10, 2013 at 1:30 PM

on top of that, with goalies getting harder and harder to score against, you can’t hold it against a guy for doing what he has to do to score.

• hockey412 - Oct 10, 2013 at 1:39 PM

I agree. Yakupov would have been killed last year if everyone felt like Oates. But I guess runs at rookies/young players still happens to a certain extent.

I think the move was great, get the goalie coming across the crease and go between the legs back the other way. Oates should be more concerned about why the defense allowed the kid enough time to pull off a shoot out-esque move.

• ibieiniid - Oct 10, 2013 at 1:42 PM

i’m with you. i loved that move. highly efficient and dazzling. but like Gaborik mentioned below, the Yakupov one was a celebration. I have entirely different views on celebrations. there’s no need for that sh**. goals, however, I think should be as flashy as they need to be to confuse a goalie.

• desertfan - Oct 10, 2013 at 5:53 PM

C’mon guys- we are all pleading for scoring and more excitement and now a few whiners are criticizing this.

You are from the dark ages!!!

• gaborik104life - Oct 10, 2013 at 1:40 PM

there were issues but none a direct result of a goal rather the celebrations or moves pulled off in a Shootout (Artie going down on one knee shooting at the net, some rookie doing a Spin-o-rama in the shootout against TB which angered them mainly St. Louis).

• ibieiniid - Oct 10, 2013 at 2:31 PM

who the hell’s Artie?

• gmanonthird - Oct 10, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Artie = Artem Anisimov

• ibieiniid - Oct 10, 2013 at 2:37 PM

ah ok. lol @ the a-hole that thumbs downed me for a question.

• ibieiniid - Oct 10, 2013 at 3:22 PM

lol more @ the guy that thumbs downed gmanonthird for answering said question.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Oct 10, 2013 at 3:59 PM

When I see goals such as Hertl’s in the shootout, I’m usually unimpressed, as I think, “big deal, let’s see you do that in a game with a defenseman on your tail.” This teenager did just that! And for me, that made it quite impressive indeed.

• imleftcoast - Oct 10, 2013 at 4:21 PM

I agree about doing it in a game vs shootout. I think he was just trying something, and not expecting to score. In any case, this is a lot better for the game than a line brawl in Toronto. Oates is the next coach to be fired. he doesn’t have a future in this league.

• yankeehawk - Oct 11, 2013 at 10:00 AM

I honestly believe the point is being missed here….the score was 7-2 at the time….don’t show up the other team….don’t get me wrong….a great move…..but save it for a more opportune time….

• withseidelinn - Oct 10, 2013 at 1:51 PM

It’s the fact that it was 8-2. He shouldn’t have celebrated, but you can’t blame him. He was obviously extremely excited and I doubt he knew any better. Still a smart move to keep him on the bench, as he probably understands the scenario now.

• FU Critics United - Oct 10, 2013 at 4:54 PM

He’s a rookie in the NHL in his first season.

Joe Thornton said it best: “Hearing a question to Marleau about Hertl and whether he was showboating, Thornton said: “Shut up, have you ever played the game?”
        When the press turned his way, he then added:
        “I’d have my [rooster] out if I scored four goals. I’d have my [rooster] out, stroking it.”

• c9castine - Oct 10, 2013 at 11:58 PM

this issue is so overblown. maybe its a generational thing or something. im 26 and i grew up doing stuff like this and we enjoyed watching eachother do it and it made us want to be better players. i dont ever remember seeing a guy pull a great move off and think “how dare he.” i thought “man i need to step my game up and match this dude”

get over it. he did his job, he beat the goalie. and quite honestly, besides the obviously high level he did it at, this isnt that hard of a move. just done by a top talent in the top league. maybe the concern here should lie on stopping him instead of swatting sticks at him while you glide back towards your net watching.

• theskinsman - Oct 13, 2013 at 7:29 AM

If ya don’t want goals scored, stop the shot.

2. freneticgarfieldfan - Oct 10, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Hertl, don’t disrespect the league, don’t score beautiful goals! The fans might eventually like it!

3. curioustraveler13 - Oct 10, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Last time I checked the goal was to put the puck in the net. Are we seriously going to make a big deal about how fancy the move was? The people who are butt hurt about that goal are the people who can’t pull it off. Hockey isn’t exactly the most popular sport out there, and this move made espn and added some GOOD publicity for the sport. I hope hertl does a goal more fancy then that his next game.

4. mp1131211 - Oct 10, 2013 at 1:34 PM

The Rangers disrespected the league by allowing a ROOKIE to score 4 TIMES and once by going between the legs!!!!! Gimme a break LOL!

• mp1131211 - Oct 10, 2013 at 1:36 PM

The kid had fun, too. He wasn’t on the bench all smug and proud. He was giggling like a school girl, but not disrespectful.

• jimbro83 - Oct 10, 2013 at 5:20 PM

funny thing is that no Ranger, Ranger fan or anything to do with the Rangers has complained about it. It’s all analysts and now the Capitals coach.

• mp1131211 - Oct 10, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Good point. It wasn’t directed at the rangers or their fans, but more so just to point out that I think his comment is misdirected.

5. gaborik104life - Oct 10, 2013 at 1:36 PM

First of all is that no one else needs to get their opinion out there on the subject. He made a mistake. The head coach of SJ knew what could have happened hence the benching and probably told him it was unnecessary after the game to score the goal in that fashion. The rags should have stepped up to Stuart after the hit that stuff like that will not be tolerated no matter the opinion of the legality of the hit and Hertl after that goal to push the message across that it is in fact disrespectful. Again not that he scored but the fashion he did it in. No reason for the entire leagues opinion on the situation as we haven’t seen the entire league weigh in on Artie doing the shooting at the net after his goal, the move against TB that Martin St. Louis called classless etc… He’s a rookie with no North American experience and did not know. Not that big of a deal. Only people who had the right to get their opinion out there on the goal was the Rags and they didn’t

• thailer35 - Oct 10, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I seriously doubt he was actually “benched” for scoring that goal. I understand he didn’t get any more ice time, but I doubt it was because he was being punished. There are plenty of other reasons to have Hertl not play the rest of that game.

• gaborik104life - Oct 10, 2013 at 3:32 PM

It wasn’t that he scored it was that he scored it in such a fashion and not being punished as no where did I say that but rather to protect him from the possibility of a ranger making a run at him (I don’t know if I made that clear) not as a punishment. And he probably talked to him about the goal after the game. And no where did I say he was being punished I don’t know where you got that from

• pepper2011 - Oct 10, 2013 at 1:48 PM

• pepper2011 - Oct 10, 2013 at 1:49 PM

to gaborik. I agree with thailer.

6. curioustraveler13 - Oct 10, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Also if Oates thinks that’s disrespectful, what did he think when ovechkin celebrated his goal by pretending his stick was on fire. I know he wasn’t the coach then, but still that was more “disrespectful” them some fancy move.

• ibieiniid - Oct 10, 2013 at 1:43 PM

if asked, I bet he’d trash that too. maybe less because the guy’s on his team, but I have a feeling he objects to both.

• curioustraveler13 - Oct 10, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Yea I think your right. I would like to hear a reporter ask him though. Oates looks so serious all the time. Hockey is a game right? The players are meant to have fun out there.

• hockeyhilite - Oct 10, 2013 at 2:59 PM

I’m sure Ovi won’t be doing that again..

• ntvd7 - Oct 10, 2013 at 3:59 PM

I was there for that game and was LIVID pissed

Not one Tampa player went over to him, said anything, did anything – Brutal

• jimbro83 - Oct 10, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Ovechkin acts like he won the Stanley Cup every single goal he scores

7. thailer35 - Oct 10, 2013 at 1:41 PM

What an idiot.

8. joey4id - Oct 10, 2013 at 1:43 PM

This goal was the talk of many in the media last night and this morning. Many feel it is hot dogging and disrespectful, while others taught it was no big deal because others have done it in a game, and it was good publicity for hockey because the goal would be showed everywhere. Ex: Sedin was shown in a clip doing the same trickery. Some said Hertl was kept on the bench after the 4th goal because the coach feared immediate retribution. Is that accurate?

• 19to77 - Oct 10, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Sounds about right. Man, I don’t get some hockey fans. Media guys and staff like Oates, too. Seems like some of these guys just wait around to complain every time something exciting or interesting happens in hockey.

Hey, wet blanket people. You suck. Stop trying to take fun out of hockey.

9. 2qswing - Oct 10, 2013 at 1:44 PM

lighten up Francis

• 19to77 - Oct 10, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Comment of the week. Too perfect. “I hate shootouts. I hate flashy scoring. I hate all new things.”

10. pepper2011 - Oct 10, 2013 at 1:45 PM

What a stupid comment from Oates.

Seriously They won 9-2. To me; I’d rather he try something a little crazy/flashy. If he scores it’s nice for the fans; if he doesn’t – it doesn’t hurt his team.

Would it have been better if he crashed the net hard? By this point it was a pick up game and he was having fun.

This is Stupid. He scored a nice goal. His celebration was normal. He’s 20 and wants to have fun, the game was over.

I am sure some goalie somewhere is pissed at Oates for setting up Neely or Hull on a beautiful pass on a game that was already well out of hand.

Oates you are one of my all time favorite B’s; please shut up – you sound like a grumpy old man. it’s a game; have some fun. Should Pavel Datsyuk be worried because he score 10 stupid (in a good way) goals every year.

11. idonthavethebloodyoucrave - Oct 10, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Calm down, Gramps. Your lawn will be okay.

Talent is good for hockey.

• pepper2011 - Oct 10, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Seriously, Oates seems like he would enjoying coaching the 70-80′s soviet national team.

“This is not fun. You will win and look pissed doing it”

• amityvillefun - Oct 10, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Great comment ^.

12. sjsharks66 - Oct 10, 2013 at 1:48 PM

I think this is great. If Ovi made that shot he would be singing a different tune. Now I hope Hertl scores that goal against the Caps.

13. stepanup - Oct 10, 2013 at 1:48 PM

I’m a Rangers fan and I have no problem with that goal. If the Rangers aren’t going to play, then any player at any age has a right to score as many goals as they can, in any fashion they can. It was a great goal, if the Rangers didn’t want it to happen, they shouldn’t have let him get to the net. I’d rather see the Rangers watch that highlight as many times as their fans have, and be motivated to drop 9 on Anaheim tonight.

• ibieiniid - Oct 10, 2013 at 1:53 PM

speaking of which, far down in the tiebreaker order, doesn’t Goals For factor into seeding?

• ibieiniid - Oct 10, 2013 at 1:54 PM

looked it up, goal differential is the 4th tiebreaker…. not even THAT far down. I have less of an issue with teams blowing out other teams now too lol

14. LampyB - Oct 10, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Oates us a moron and his old school approach hasnt helped his team. Goal of the NHL is to make money and get more viewers. If Hertl can pull off a move like this as a rookie its fine by me. Shove it in their faces, they’re a professional team and if they cant stop him go home and cry about it. No retribution should take place on someone who has cleanly beaten you.

The league is full of weak minded individuals that live to whine.

15. btlpper68 - Oct 10, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Whatever Oates just mad hertl has more goals than OVI next time hertl should shoot it right in the logo right?

16. youcallthathockeyblog - Oct 10, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Adam Oates….the story of a hipster

• ibieiniid - Oct 10, 2013 at 2:09 PM

is THAT what hipster means?

17. skr213 - Oct 10, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Anyone who saw the game would know that Hertl is anything but disrespectful. He was just having the dream game of his life in his third NHL game. Even Rangers fans admit this was something special. Will he know for the future not to hotdog? Sure. But he is a kid having the time of his life – just watch and enjoy.

18. bluelinemh - Oct 10, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Shut up Oates, times have changed. You don’t have to coach in this league if you don’t want to.

19. avfanforlife - Oct 10, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Crazy goal! (and after a hat-trick no less!) 1st thought was “WOW”, then saw that the score was 9-2 and thought, “this is gonna piss quite a few people off…” I’m on the fence on this one… show-boating/running up the score? Maybe a little…. Doing whatever it takes to score a goal with goaltenders who can stop just about anything? I’m for it. He probably won’t do it again. Time to move on. (anyone care to guess whether or not Oates would like Hertl on his team?)

• ibieiniid - Oct 10, 2013 at 2:26 PM

hey not sure if you saw my comment about goal differential, but I just came to the realization (while reading comments here) that every goal counts when it comes to standings. team goal differential is a seeding tiebreaker. never occurred to me before and kinda justifies running up a score in my mind. just some info.

• avfanforlife - Oct 10, 2013 at 4:33 PM

good point.

• ibieiniid - Oct 10, 2013 at 2:46 PM

oh yeah and at the last bit…. it’s interesting. the Caps actually passed Hertl up to take Tom Wilson in 2012. Hertl was taken next pick. Oates wasn’t the coach during that draft though, I don’t believe.

20. ordinaryday6 - Oct 10, 2013 at 2:18 PM

the way I saw it, he ran out of space, wanted to score, did what he had to do. this disrespecting the league crap is just that. if teams don’t want to be “disrespected,” get better. end of story. beautiful goal. amazing to watch. screw you, Adam oates, just lost a lot of respect for you.

21. eagles512 - Oct 10, 2013 at 2:24 PM

What a baby. So if something us flashy, you should try something less flashy even if it reduces your chances to score? Lost a lot of respect for Oates.

22. clight3521 - Oct 10, 2013 at 2:31 PM

everyone on here is missing the point of this. not a single mention on this entire thread of staal’s joke of an attempt to backcheck. that effort is disrespectful to his teammates. the kid has already lit up your team for 3 goals, has his head down and you have a chance to absolutely bury him (clean or not) and you listlessly flail your stick at him. have some pride and knock him on his ass. and i hate the rangers, but come on…

• ibieiniid - Oct 10, 2013 at 2:39 PM

idk how you overlooked people saying it was the Rangers disrespecting the game by sucking so hard.

23. blomfeld - Oct 10, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Youth, talent and ‘unbridled’ optimism ! :)

Hertl’s performance the other night was fantastic on so many levels ! First and foremost, it was a wonderful display of ‘supreme’ skill and athleticism. But more importantly, it was a ‘hopeful’ sign that the Michelin Man has yet to stifle the game completely ? … and that’s very refreshing and uplifting to know. Oates is only a few years younger than me, so I wonder what he thought back in the day when Bobby Orr was skating through ‘entire’ teams like they were stationary pylons ? The bottom line is that someone like Hertl is a much-need ‘breath of fresh air’ and performances like this one are to be applauded, not frowned upon.

ps: hopefully Hertl and the Sharks can score a couple of touchdowns on Loo tonight eh ? :)

• babykaby - Oct 12, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Still have to show your stupid little boy video, eh dumbfeld?

24. bgrillz - Oct 10, 2013 at 2:36 PM

I suppose he should just do like Ovechkin and take 20 shots a game and hope it goes where he is aiming at. I mean, Ovechkin would never do anything flashy either…Some of these coaches need to just shut up and coach. Oates, respect yourself and your team and when asked about something a player did that you weren’t eve involved in, say you have no comment.

25. Lupy Nazty Philthy - Oct 10, 2013 at 2:44 PM

I don’t see the problem with the move at all. It’s a great deke… going between the legs protects the puck from potention poke check from the goalie. Looks like it handcuffs the goalie for a split-second too, which is all you need.

26. mpops86 - Oct 10, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t Marek Malik trademark that move as a Ranger? And wasn’t it Artem Anisimov, a Ranger, who sniped a goalie last year?

The league finally gets a couple of young stars showing emotion and character and the old-timers kibosh it because it’s not how they did things. With all due respect, Mr. Oates (and you were one of my favorite Bruins), kindly shut the hell up.

27. lopo - Oct 10, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Dear Oates,

No one cares about your views of how legal goals were scored by other teams in games you weren’t participating in. Perhaps we should start asking Todd McLellan about the situation you have with Martin Erat, because that’s logical.

Signed,
    Everyone

28. dchambers144 - Oct 10, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Didn’t Ovchkin pretend his stick was on fire after a goal a couple of years ago? What Hertl did was a flat out sick move. He didn’t showboat after the goal.

29. hckyguy2000 - Oct 10, 2013 at 3:06 PM

I think it was the Rangers who disrespected the league with their pathetic play in that game.

30. amityvillefun - Oct 10, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Disrespecting the league? Hardly. It’s called lighting it up. We should applaud talent, not squash it.

If you want to see what is disrespectful, you need to look no further than Matt Cooke. This guy has not only disgraced the league, he’s ruined hockey players with far more talent than he will ever have.

31. chiadam - Oct 10, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Letting a rookie eat your lunch isn’t on the rookie. You don’t like it, stop it before it happens. Not after.

32. hockeydon10 - Oct 10, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Being ahead by that many goals is the time to pull moves like that. Usually that stuff has a very low likelyhood of scoring.

If he had that breakaway and didn’t put the effort in he would have gotten an asschewing.

It’s also amusing that he used the exact same move Marek Malik did to end the longest shootout ever, which happened to be against the Caps.

33. 19to77 - Oct 10, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Hilarious, coming from Alex Ovechkin’s coach. Then again, even if he didn’t coach the most egotistical showoff in the League, this would still be stupid.

“Don’t score on skill plays. It’s disrespectful to make goals look good.”

Did he even f*cking think about how stupid that sounds?

34. billiam55 - Oct 10, 2013 at 4:04 PM

even as a ranger fan i admit that that goal was a beauty. times have changed Oates!

35. silverstonem5 - Oct 10, 2013 at 4:08 PM

The Caps will be lucky that the Sharks don’t send them an invoice for the two tickets they bought to the show. Douche bag 33 year old Dominic Moore and his buddy Marc Staal made little if any effort to cut off the play. Watch the video. The last 15 feet to the net, when it is clear that Hertl is going to get a shot on goal, they just COAST to the goal. But nobody is a bigger Douche than Oates. Hertl would look like an idiot if he didn’t score. The move froze the goalie. Obviously. Where is the coaching of the goalie? Why didn’t he poke check the puck. Caps will rise again. Oates is a punk.

I used to love her
    But I had to kill her
    I used to love her, Mm, yeah
    But I had to kill her
    I had to put her six feet under
    And I can still hear her complain

36. feedmetherock - Oct 10, 2013 at 4:12 PM

It is stingy old school thoughts like this that drive me crazy. Instead of the Rangers taking a cheap shot, how about they work harder to prevent it next time? They got embarrassed and had their noses rubbed in it. Last time I checked, the game is 60 minutes long.. Just because you are getting lit up doesn’t mean the other team has to stop because you have clearly quit for the night. If the Rangers don’t like it, then don’t let it happen in the first place. The league is evolving into a highly skilled young man’s league. Lots of kids coming up now with a ton if talent that can do this type of stuff with ease. I have no sympathy nor do I think retaliation is necessary in this case. Yes he celebrated, but who wouldn’t at 19, just scoring your 4th goal of the game. I am just glad I picked him up in my fantasy league over the weekend before he went off lol

37. bigolbig - Oct 10, 2013 at 4:30 PM

38. bigolbig - Oct 10, 2013 at 4:33 PM

[IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/j7g8x2.jpg[/IMG]

39. northstarsmitty - Oct 10, 2013 at 4:43 PM

As Bryce Harper would probably put it: “That’s a clown statement, bro!” Wow. Oates obviously can’t handle the difference between his time and the NHL now. This is absurd for him to say. Last I checked scoring goals is what you need to do to win, no matter how they find the net. I expect a bitter statement in about week from Oates saying he thinks any NHL player with integrity would not score an empty net goal when given the chance because it’s the right thing to do. This deserves a Face Palm

40. matt14gg - Oct 10, 2013 at 4:48 PM

I love Oates, but he needs to lighten up on this one. It’s not like Hertl pulled an Anisimov and machine gunned the goalie. The game needs creativity and as long as a player is not showing up the other team it’s not a big deal. No one believes in “respecting the game” more than I do, but part of “respecting the game” is promoting creativity. Can’t live in the past and as long as guys respect their opponent there’s nothing wrong with scoring highlight goals.

41. bbk1000 - Oct 10, 2013 at 5:13 PM

I have no problem with the goal…I also have no problem if someone sends the kid through the glass….in fact, I’m hoping for it…..

• jimeejohnson - Oct 10, 2013 at 7:32 PM

You sound like a loser.

42. titansbro - Oct 10, 2013 at 5:29 PM

I guess the right move would have been a telegraphed shot right into the goalies glove so as not to disrespect the league. Stupid rook, how dare you score a goal in this manner.

Unbelievable. Honestly unbelievable that anyone would have problem with this shot. This backlash disgusts me.

43. johnstone17 - Oct 10, 2013 at 5:37 PM

As a Rangers fan, that is hardly what bothered me during a 9 – 2 thrashing.

• jimeejohnson - Oct 10, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Exactly.

44. smgraff4 - Oct 10, 2013 at 5:50 PM

As a Caps fan, enough!! Stop trying to be Don Cherry and discourage sweet moves that would fascinate fans (and get people to really love hockey)!! Let’s focus on winning a Stanley Cup!

45. sjm1717 - Oct 10, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Oates is a moron…kid scored a spectacular goal in an unconventional way….how is that disrespecting the game or anybody? Only because the score was out of hand? Hertz had obviously done that before in practice and was confident that he could pull it off. Only person that is disrespecting the game is Oates.

• jimeejohnson - Oct 10, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Anyone who ever played hockey (except those that wore figure skates) knows that goal was INCREDIBLE and if that wee weeper Oates doesn’t like it he should coach some pee wee girls team! Are you freakin’ kidding me! That goal was a thing of beauty. Hertl is a sick f-ck!

46. jobro815 - Oct 10, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Hell, I was pissed when I saw he scored 4. Pissed I couldn’t watch it and laugh at the Rangers, pissed the Isles game against the Sharks is an away game in December and pissed someone else in my fantasy league picked up Hertl before I could. Lol.

47. peehergriphon - Oct 10, 2013 at 11:02 PM

That’s like saying “no dunking in NBA game, dunking is only for the contest!”

Respect the kid’s skill and enjoy it as a coach and a fan. What a dooosch!

48. ranndino - Oct 11, 2013 at 5:37 AM

I can’t stand this crap! What is this? The Nofun Hockey League for grumpy old men like Don Cherry? The more flashy and exciting the better! Give me flashy goals and flashy celebrations. I’ll take it all. Only in North America players seem to be criticized for doing something exciting on the ice. It never ceases to amaze me that the same people who always whined that the Soviet players were stoic and never displayed any emotion whine about the opposite now and somehow it’s always about a Russian or European player. Why don’t you die already, you outdated, crusty old xenophobic a-holes?

49. brewinflames - Oct 11, 2013 at 3:10 PM

No issue with the goal whatsoever…he made the attemp and he scored, with a d man on his ass at that. Rookie took a long pass, blew by a defender and left Biron looking for his jock.

No problem with that. Now, if Hertl had celebrated like a jackass, then i could see a heavy check coming, but, he did what a 19 year old rookie should do, go to the bench and savior a great moment.

Side note, the next day, 20,00 people added him to thier fantasy team.

50. greenmtnboy31 - Oct 11, 2013 at 3:50 PM

SOmebody get Oatsie a big ‘ol mug of STFU!

Are Penguins vulnerable vs. Columbus?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches